Depressed :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marzipan

#16 Post by Marzipan »

Talking IS a challenge and lots of talking can make things rub on certain spots over and over and cause pain and soreness. USE THAT WAX! For the front teeth I use silicone wax because it's more "invisible." For the side and back I use the sticky wax and plenty of it. Talking is much, much, much easier once you are all waxed up. And then the sore spots heal up and everything is better.

You'll be fine, just hang in there! :D

Tfiestyone4u

#17 Post by Tfiestyone4u »

Thanks guys. Yes, talking is a fun little challenge. Amazing how you don't realize what your mouth actually does during then day until you get braces on and then you feel EVERYTHING it does! I went to church yesterday (without wax cuz my mouth was feeling pretty good) and did a lot of singing...big mistake! :lol: Let's just say i have wax on again!
there's no such thing as too much, and keep it on when eating,
My ortho told me to take it out when I eat, do you think there was any specific reasoning that he told me that other than maybe just thinking while eating it may come off? If I can eat with it and it won't come off or hurt anything wow that'd be AWESOME!

xtrememkovr

#18 Post by xtrememkovr »

I swallowed some wax the other day with my Spaghetti O's. Other than ingesting a bit of wax, I don't know if there are other issues/problems that may come up. :)

Glad you are feeling better!

X.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. - Marianne Williamson.

Gennel

#19 Post by Gennel »

So many of us have felt the way you are feeling and it is totally normal. The first few days it hurt,I had sores,cuts,cheek kept getting yanked and poked from wire.I could not sleep on my stomach because my face pressed against the pillow caused cuts in my cheeks and lips :(
The first days and hours seem to take forever. At least that's how I felt.I kept thinking " OMG ,I can't take this for over 2 yrs!" I felt I was lied to!
Now it's been over 4 months for me and I forget that I have braces on often! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will see it soon :)
It does get better sooner than you think.

Gennel

ohmyjaw

#20 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Tanya,

I just wanted to throw in my two cents - I used the wax but only for about a week. Then, I just started to get tired of always having to put it on, (and I was always swallowing it too) and I thought "what if I just stop using this stuff and let my mouth toughen up?" And it worked. I had to put up with a week of my mouth feeling kind of scratchy, but I haven't had a piece of wax in my mouth for about 8 months.

I don't know what other folks have experienced, maybe I am just lucky enough to not have very bothersome hardware in my mouth??

Good luck and HANG IN THERE, it's worth it!

sjsarre

#21 Post by sjsarre »

I definately got the blues after having my brace put on and one or two of my adjustments I have just wanted to curl up into a little ball about a week after. Its your body's way of dealing with the changes that are taking place. Its difficult because some people never experience it and cannot relate.

All I can say is take your time, do the salt water rinses, make sure you swish your mouth with water every few minutes inbetween calls if you can it really does help.

Tfiestyone4u

#22 Post by Tfiestyone4u »

Hey Guys, okay so sounds like I'll begin to plan wax for my meals :wink: cuz if needed i'll sure try to eat with it in! I have only had to use it on my top brackets for the past few days. So that's a step in the right direction. I've tried the go without to toughen up my cheeks thing too but some days it worked, other days it's been too sore to do it! But the light at the end of the tunnel is slowly starting to take form! yay! (then i'll have an adjustment and have to wait for it to take form once again! LOL) yee haw! :lol:

Julie08

Sore

#23 Post by Julie08 »

I agree with the others - wax, wax and more wax. I went through about 6 of those Gum brand containers of wax in about 2 days after I first got braces - I gobbed so much of it on so I could sleep at night, that it took quite a bit of time in the morning to get it all out of my teeth to brush, eat, and put more wax on! Then all of the sudden, it stopped hurting. Hopefully, that will be your experience, too.

skip27

#24 Post by skip27 »

Hey Tanya,

I'm going through exactly the same thing right now. I had my braces put on last Tuesday, and as of now, it's no picnic. I'm having self-image problems, smiling feels uncomfortable, one of my brackets is irritating my gums (though it's starting to go away), and my lips are also becoming dry and painful.

I'm a full-time college student--a junior--and I wait tables on the side, so I see and talk to people all the time. Though my friends don't care, it's everyone else that I'm worried about. Because of how my teeth are angled, my braces look crooked and asymmetrical. I hate the way it looks, since I see other people with braces that have straight brackets that look neat and aligned. I know it's going to change, but I'm awfully impatient and very self-conscious. On the flipside, I'm using a Viazis bracket, so I only have to wear these things for 6 months.

Keep yourself occupied. Don't think about the braces. Watch movies, go out with friends, talk to them and VENT (God did it help me), study, workout (I love working out and do it everyday), etc. I'm always finding things to do, and I kid you not, time is just flying by. Perhaps that's just something that comes /w getting older, but that's not something I'm complaining about now that I have braces :D

Hang in there. Yeah, it's two years of your life. But that smile will last a whole lot longer. Or, you could consider getting different braces that reduce your treatment. Either way, it's worth it in the end. The pain will go away, your body will adjust, the braces will align themselves, and you'll start to feel more comfortable smiling and talking.

Keep venting. That's what this forum is for :)