They're On!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

acd

They're On!

#1 Post by acd »

There's no turning back now--this morning I had braces put on my upper teeth. The lowers will come down the road after a lateral moves into position. The most painful part was actually walking in the door and committing to two years of braces. The two bands went on with no problem and I never tasted any of the glue that so many people have complained about. The brackets (Mystique) sure feel a lot bigger in my mouth than they looked on the model teeth but so far I have not had any problems with them. My wife made me take some Tylenol before my appointment and I have not taken any since--it's been 8 hours since they went on. It has taken me a long time to get to this point but so far I'm glad I got them. The anxiety over disliking my teeth for so many years and whether to get braces or not was a lot worse than actually getting braces. For anyone still on the fence I say go for it--you'll be glad you did.

Sweet L

#2 Post by Sweet L »

:-)o :banana: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :banana: :-)o

Good luck! and take care....

ishasha

#3 Post by ishasha »

Congratulations!

It's been hard for me too. Well, I guess it's a hard decision for most of the adults. So it feels so good to hear these decision stories: aha! He/She went through the same struggling and finally made it! :D

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

Congrats on taking that first step. I know what you mean about fear as you walk in. When I went for my consult I asked how soon could I start so I wouldn't back out. I only got spacers then but would have went the full metal mouth to to keep me from backing out. If I hadn't go spacers then, I would of filed the process under something I should do someday.

The important thing is this is a procedure (most people on this forum refer to it as a journey) that hopefully will make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

As for wisdom (thanks to KK), this is what she was told from her ortho on the day she got her braces:

The best gift I got on that day ... was many wonderful words of advice ...

Don't let braces change your daily life ...
Let this be a positive experience ...
Braces don't stop you from doing things, you do that ...
Attitude is everything ...
"Call me tomorrow and let me know how wonderful the first 24 hours have been."

Finally take pictures before the braces, and pictures in the first two days with braces. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the board.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Danielle

#5 Post by Danielle »

Congratulations! I spent so long dreading getting braces and when the appointment finally rolled around I was acutally more excited than nervous and so glad I didn't chicken out again! On the Tylenol issue... I've found that Aleve works the better than any other pain reliever I've tried (though there hasn't been that much pain).

ellebee

#6 Post by ellebee »

Aleve is a wonder drug!