can't sleep well with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ishasha

#16 Post by ishasha »

I thought I should update on this. The mouth guard did work last night. I had a pretty good sleep, which is so precious... :D I did feel it's a temporary/emergency solution though. So I'll find out what my ortho is gonna to do...

Delag

#17 Post by Delag »

ishasha - that is the exact one I asked my ortho about. He said that because it is squishy it can do quite a bit of damage to the TMJ. I think it has something to do with your jaw squeezing it over and over. The one he made for me is a hard plastic that holds everything in place. I know there are a lot of different opinions and I would never dream of giving actual *advice* - that is what our doctors are for - I just want to give you a heads up so you can check with your doctor before you use it.

Chris

#18 Post by Chris »

ishasha - that is the exact one I asked my ortho about. He said that because it is squishy it can do quite a bit of damage to the TMJ. I think it has something to do with your jaw squeezing it over and over. The one he made for me is a hard plastic that holds everything in place. I know there are a lot of different opinions and I would never dream of giving actual *advice* - that is what our doctors are for - I just want to give you a heads up so you can check with your doctor before you use it.
Yes, its true, the "squishy" ones do make you clench more, but it prevents chipping of any teeth. I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. I used mine for a couple of weeks until the offending tooth moved.

Just curious though on the molded plastic ones (wouldn't you grow out of it soon since your teeth are moving?) I know that after my braces are off I am definitely going to get a custom made nightguard and hopefully my teeth won't shift and make the need for a new one again ($$$)
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

ishasha

#19 Post by ishasha »

Delag and Chris, thanks for the feedback. I'll bring the picture of the adjustable mouth guard to my ortho this Wed and ask for his opinion. Yes, I made an appointment with him this Wed. Too bad these orthos are not available everyday. I wonder how they deal with emergencies...

Dramagyrl

#20 Post by Dramagyrl »

I had the hard plastic splint prior to getting braced.

Now my ortho won't let me use any kind, for the most part. After I chipped a tooth, they offered me a Boylan Bite (Never did get one, so I can't tell you how it worked). He said it could be boiled and then fitted LOOSELY to my teeth, with no real specific mould. He emphasised the loose part because using such a guard could restrict the teeth from making their progress in movement.

Danielle

#21 Post by Danielle »

Oh, wow... I had this exact same problem the first couple of nights after I got my braces... I wish I would have read this then... at the time I actually bit down so hard I knocked one of my brackets off while I was sleeping--painful. My orthodontist ended up putting what looks like a hard piece of guaze cemented to one of my molars--it makes it difficult to chew but really easy to sleep... anyone else have this done to them?

ishasha

#22 Post by ishasha »

Oh, wow... I had this exact same problem the first couple of nights after I got my braces... I wish I would have read this then... at the time I actually bit down so hard I knocked one of my brackets off while I was sleeping--painful. My orthodontist ended up putting what looks like a hard piece of guaze cemented to one of my molars--it makes it difficult to chew but really easy to sleep... anyone else have this done to them?
I'm glad this forum is finally back! How often is the site down? I kept checking back to see if it's up. :cry:

Danielle, I came back from visiting my ortho. He did exactly the same thing to me! He put something called "stop" on one of my molars too. It's actually glued using the same technique that the brackets are glued on.

Yeah, I would imagine sleeping should be easy now. But my lunch was not so pleasant ---- I can't bit all the way down, so I ended up swallowed most of the food as is. :( I hope this stage will pass soon. How long did you have to have this thing?

My ortho asked me to cancel that guard I ordered from amazon. :) It hasn't been shipped yet. So that's good.

He also said I'm making good progress so he changed my wire ---- the first one really does not have much functions except to start moving my teeth. So this is really encouraging since it's only been a week! lah lah lah... So I chose pink color this time to celebrate. :)

But I really don't like the feeling of that "stop" on my molars. :( I hope they'll come off soon...

More thinking. Yeah, so it seems like I got my first adjustment done way in advance? Actually, the assistant said there is no need to change the next appointment which is 20 days away. So does that mean if I could keep doing this my braces will come off sooner. :) wait---don't push yourself to the limit! :roll:
Last edited by ishasha on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ishasha

#23 Post by ishasha »

Meryaten wrote:You'll quickly get used to the molar build-up/occlusal bonding - I had one (actually a pair - one on each of my lower 6s) from May to November last year.

For that long? :( I'd better try to live with it then...

Danielle

#24 Post by Danielle »

Yeah, I would imagine sleeping should be easy now. But my lunch was not so pleasant ---- I can't bit all the way down, so I ended up swallowed most of the food as is. I hope this stage will pass soon
I've had it on since August... it's actually gotten "higher" since then. Don't worry... you'll get used to it. I've been pioneering the art of cutting up my food really small and then chewing what I can before swallowing... but it does get easier (and dare I say it... I might miss this thing).

missing_tooth

#25 Post by missing_tooth »

You'll get used to it. At first it was wierd, but after a while they felt comfy if you will, like they belong.

- Missing Tooth -

ishasha

#26 Post by ishasha »

Thanks guys/gals. I slept so well last night. First of a week! :lol: I still need some getting used to the eating though.

But I finally got my signature!!! I'm so happy! :banana:
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007