Headgear?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

michael33

Headgear?

#1 Post by michael33 »

How do you know if you will need headgear or not? My ortho hasn't mentioned anything about headgear. I had these braces for about a year and headgear would prolly drive me crazy

gunter8888

#2 Post by gunter8888 »

I asked my ortho when he presented my treatment plan, "What 'gadgets' like rubber bands or headgear will be involved?" No headgear for me, but rubber bands are "likely" and coil springs are for sure.

That's a lesson I learned from my 3 consults. I found that I needed an ortho with whom I was comfortable asking any question - no matter how silly I thought they might be.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

EDWARD

HEADGEAR

#3 Post by EDWARD »

I was told only wires.. Now I wear 2 rubberband on each side and a face bow headgear for 16 hrs a day not bad ha...

HeadgearJoe

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

i was told elastics should correct ,(BUT)if they don't look as if there going i would need HEADGEAR , will they didn't an yes i've been in headgear for a while, hay you do get use to it kinda, take care hgjoe

braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

HeadgearJoe

#5 Post by HeadgearJoe »

i was told elastics should correct it ,(BUT)if they don't look as if there going i would need HEADGEAR , will they didn't an yes i've been in headgear for a while, hay you do get use to it kinda, take care hgjoe

braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

lisaemtp

#6 Post by lisaemtp »

Headgear was something I didn't think to ask about. Thank you for mentioning it! I work as a paramedic (12+ hour shifts at a time) and the job is very physical, so i wouldn't be able to wear it more than 10-11 hours a day on the days I work. I'll be sure to talk to my ortho about that at my final consult.

What is headgear typically used to correct? (overbite, underbite, just moving molars?)

Lisa

cowlypso

#7 Post by cowlypso »

At my first consult, they had this whole form that they filled out. It's got a checklist for various problems, treatment options, blanks to fill in for other estimates, and the next step. Headgear was one of the options available for them to check off in the treatment section, as well as braces, extractions, appliances, expanders, etc. So it seems like that's something that they can generally anticipate from the beginning. Fortunately, this guy said nothing about headgear.

HeadgearJoe

#8 Post by HeadgearJoe »

i had a check list an just about everything was checked cause of my tmj probs an had most of them , maybe soon a lower expander i'm told