Question for coffee lovers with power chains!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nille

Question for coffee lovers with power chains!

#1 Post by Nille »

I will be going Monday for my 3rd adjustment and will most likely be getting a powerchain on the top. I love my daily cup (or more) of coffee, tea, and cola and worry about staining or discoloration. I don't mind color as long as it's not too flashy and was wondering what colors have worked best for you in terms of keeping their color and not turning brown!
Full metal mouth! 5-23-06
Estimated time: 12-18 months!

Nille

#2 Post by Nille »

Thanks KK! :D I would have thought that the silver would have stained! Plus I will admit it is a bit more boring than blue or purple! Maybe I'll start with blue! Thanks again!
Full metal mouth! 5-23-06
Estimated time: 12-18 months!

bracesmom

#3 Post by bracesmom »

I actually liked the sea-greenish color my blue power chains turned to! My ortho's blue was very bright.

For the more clear look, I like the pearl blue. When they stain they actually appear more clear than blue or take on more of a clear with a hint of purple.
Advocating for our nation's waiting children at Adoptive Parents Network

MariaMetalMouth

#4 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

They let you have coloured powerchains!?
My ortho just shoved tooth coloured ones on, I think that is all he has!
I smoke and drink coffee a lot, and they are a lovely shade of yellow now :shock:
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I opted for mauve ligs at my last adjustment 2 weeks ago and they've withstood curry, coffee, red wine and all the other staining foods. The colour is much like that in KK's ticker. They are also quite discreet looking if you're concerned about visibility.

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

My last time in power chains the assistant asked humorously if I wanted a colored chain. I said SURE! I got Hot Pink. It did fine with all the coffee I drink - and it's a lot.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

JumpTheDitch

#7 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Congrats on the powerchain and the progress Nille!

I've had powerchains (on the top only) for the last six months (I think I got my first one @ my third adjustment also) with no real staining issues. I'm a bit of a coffee fiend I'm afraid (usually 4-6 cups a day :oops:. My boyfriend and I are sure it's the reason we got together!).

Unfortunately I've only had silver powerchains on the top. My ortho says for some reason he seems to see a tiny bit more movement with the grey/silver rather than the colours. When I asked for a coloured powerchain to go with my coloured bottom ligs he said if I really wanted a colour he'd put one on but only if it was more important to me than an extra mm of movement. Obviously I chose the optimal movement option. I realise this sounds very odd ( I think so too :shock:) and it may spark some dissention from other orthos/metal mouthers but I trust my ortho so I'm letting it go. If I really wanted the coloured powerchain I could insist on it but I figure he's the expert so I'm following his direction.

As for stain-resistant colours, I agree with KK, purple is my favourite so far. Absoloutely no staining plus it's a fun colour. Currently I have black ligs, which don't stain either but I'm finding rather boring. Blue is another good one, but I wasn't keen on the staining from the coffee. Like the others have said, it does stain to a niceish sea green, but the fact that it does change colour disconcerts me a little :shock:.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

bckydgardnr

#8 Post by bckydgardnr »

I personally like the silver. I have wire ties on my ceramics so even with the tooth or clear colored you still see the metal from the wire ties. I have been with silver for about 6 months and doubt if I will switch back to clear.

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05