Frustration...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Frustration...

#1 Post by newmetal »

Comming up to two weeks now and im already bored of braces. I would never take the braces off, this is because my dislike towards wearing braces matches that of when my teeth are unbraced. I know they are making my teeth better, and eventually i will reach this goal but the process to reach it is boring and difficult in many ways. Some days i dont notice them but i have days when i do and i cant stand wearing them. In two weeks you'll probably hear from me, praising how much i like having braces but just wanted to have a rant with people who are most likely to relate to how im feeling....

Sorry about the rant!

Newmetal

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

I know what you mean newmetal - I will be two weeks on Monday and the novelty has worn off. I think that this part of treatment is difficult because we have not seen any change yet to make the inconvience worth it. Once we see a little movement it will be a great motivation.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

hiya NM

I've been in braces about 4 months and I get highs and lows too. When I do pics and can see there's been movement I feel good but then sometimes the reality of the constant mouth irritation, endless cleaning routine and slow progress gets me down and I just feel like ripping the dam things off. I would imagine we all get those ups and downs. I find coming here and reading people's success stories, or just having a vent can help, because everyone understands how it can be.

You don't like braces, but you don't like your teeth either - but at least the braces however frustrating, annoying and uncomfortable they might be, will eventually give you the reward of having teeth to be proud of. Well that's what i tell myself anyway........... :D

you're not alone in the way you feel.

Lisa x

BreeZyCheeZy

#4 Post by BreeZyCheeZy »

I've been braced for 3 months. I think everyone must go through ups and downs with everything that is new to them. Its like you dont like the way your teeth look before so you want braces, but then once you get them on, you realise what a pain they can be.
Just having the support of people around you and people from this board helps a lot...thanx to all of you!!

I think eventually the downs tend to appear less frequently when you realise how much closer you are to having the perfect smile.
Hang in there!

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

I don't have the braces yet, but I can certainly relate. I know right now I'm excited and impatient to just get them on already. I'm sure I'll be just as impatient to get them off two weeks later!

I had ankle surgery a few years ago, and halfway through the recovery I sat there just pounding on the cast and crying because I wanted the stupid thing off so I could walk again.

Just hang in there. It is a finite process. Every hour that goes by is one hour closer to the end.

newmetal

#6 Post by newmetal »

Thanks alot guys...its good to hear that im not the only one that gets sick of this teeth straightening device! Lots of your words of advice have given me some motivating thoughts for when im next fed up. This site is top notch!

Many Thanks

Newmetal

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Maybe we have a bit of a honeymoon period with braces? It's sort of a relief to get them on after all the consults, up front preparation, etc.

Then reality hits: several months (years) of having to deal with food jammed in the hardware, pain for some people, spending extra time cleaning and, in my case, things getting worse before they got better.

To be honest, over the last 9 months I've not had a downer yet, but that's not to say I won't have one before treatment is complete.

Would chowing into a bar of chocolate help? I know it works for me!!

Natalie

#8 Post by Natalie »

i've had mine on just over 2 weeks newmetal and i feel exactly the same! i think that peope have said is probably right...there's all the excitement about FINALLY getting them on, it's all a bit of a novelty and then that gradually wears off and because we haven't seen any improvement yet there is absolutely nothing to get excited about! the positives, however are that at least by now we're used to the feeling of having braces and our lips have adjusted to the extra 'stuff' in our mouth and the self conciousness has gone somewhat. i think as soon as we see movement we'll be all excited again! i hope :)