New headgear...any other victims out there?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeadgearJoe

#31 Post by HeadgearJoe »

trav, i've tryed sending you two pm's an all i get is error an DEBUG, so as soon as it's fixed i'll get back to you , just yahoo im me an will chat till then, headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

josephine

#32 Post by josephine »

Ask your ortho about how long you will need for headgear. The ortho may be vague in answering, though, because the time required partly depends on how many hours you can really put in. Those of us who have been (ahem) less than thorough about the hours probably end up wearing hg longer than we would have otherwise. It sounds like you are really doing very well with it, though!

macca

#33 Post by macca »

Hi Trav,

Well done for having the courage to go public with your headgear, I think you are one hell of a brave guy!!
The first few times you wear it outdoors will be the hardest, and you are already past that now, so it will only get easier for you.

As far as the timeframe goes, when I asked my ortho about tooth movement times, he mentioned a period of roughly 1mm per month. I think this is to allow the bone around the tooth to grow sufficiently as it moves so as not to leave the tooth unstable. Your ortho will know best though, at your next appointment they'll be able to advise more accurately.

Please don't be despondent if this seems longer than you had hoped, the hard work you have already put in just getting used to it and the results you will get far outweigh any negatives.

Hope this helps!

macca

#34 Post by macca »

Sorry, accidentally posted twice !!