Questions about metal bands and biting/chewing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fender

Questions about metal bands and biting/chewing

#1 Post by Fender »

Hello All,

I got my metal bands put on 4 of my molars on Friday morning and the hooks seem to be scratching up the side of my tongue quite badly. I tried wax, but it won't stay in place. Will anything be placed or attached to these hooks? Will the scratching end some time down the road? My next appointment is on December 1.

Also, is it normal not to be able to fully bite down at all and chew while having braces? It looks like I won't be able to fully bite down and chew normally until I get them off. A couple of my brackets and now one of my metal bands inhibit me from fully being able to bite down and chew.

The assistant to the ortho said there's some sort of "bumps" that could be placed inside my mouth/braces, but the ortho objected to this because he says some folks may eventually lose feeling in parts of their mouths. Also, he refused to move my brackets lower on my teeth (so that I don't bite down on them and can actually chew properly) and says that I probably won't break them off when I bite down on them because they would've broken/fallen off by now.

Am I being a wimp or is the ortho right and just telling me the harsh truth? It'd be nice if I can properly bite down and chew again. Needless to say, it's very frustrating right now.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Right now when I bite down, the top and bottom front teeth (going all of the way to the canine teeth) aren't able to touch at all.

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

Hey Fender!
Also, is it normal not to be able to fully bite down at all and chew while having braces? It looks like I won't be able to fully bite down and chew normally until I get them off. A couple of my brackets and now one of my metal bands inhibit me from fully being able to bite down and chew.
You'll find in a few weeks your bite will change and you will be able to bight down. I've also found that everytime I've had an adjusment my bite is way off but then it settles down. So things will get better!!
I got my metal bands put on 4 of my molars on Friday morning and the hooks seem to be scratching up the side of my tongue quite badly. I tried wax, but it won't stay in place. Will anything be placed or attached to these hooks? Will the scratching end some time down the road?
Next time you see your ortho, ask about the hooks. If you don't need them, they should get rid of them for you. As for the bands themselves... keep trying the wax. I know it's the hardest place to keep it sticking, but try to dry the area as much as possible before putting the wax on.

Warm salt water rinses are also wonderful. They help to soothe and toughen your mouth so that the brackets and bands don't rub so much. Eventually your tongue will get used to the bands though... mine has, I promise!!

Best of luck with your treatment!

Jennifer
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Fender

#3 Post by Fender »

Thanks for the very quick replies, Meryaten and Jennifer!

I'll ask the ortho if I need the hooks, and if I don't, off they go! ;-)

I'll also try the warm salt water rinses. How much salt should I add to the water? Should I get a specific type of salt? I'm absolutely clueless about this.

Furthermore, I'm now slightly more optimistic that I will be able to bite down and chew properly...or so I hope.

Thanks again.

Fender

#4 Post by Fender »

Another question about the metal bands:

Is it normal to feel pain when they're on? I was fine with the spacers and braces, but it looks like one of the bands is causing some minor pain when i bite down. Other than that, there's no pain. I'm starting to question whether or not the that particular band was "properly" placed in.

juf_84

#5 Post by juf_84 »

Hi Fender,

Glad I could help. I can't add much more to Meryaten's question, other than to let you know, the only pain I felt from the bands (apart from rubbing on my tongue!) was when they were being put on- it felt like they were digging into my gums. So it might be possible that the band is not on propery, but it could also just be the tooth itself... you'll find that at random times random teeth will just hurt.

Take care,

Jennifer
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Fender

#6 Post by Fender »

Pain as in pain only in this one tooth and a little bit around the gum region of where the tooth is located. I only feel this pain when I bite down or attempt to chew. Other than that, I'm fine. I'm a bit worried. Once again, I think it might have something to do with the band and surrounding brackets being too high up on my teeth and that I can't help but to bite down on them.

neelie

#7 Post by neelie »

My ortho was able to push the hooks towards my teeth so they didn't rub my gums which they were doing when he first put the bands on. Neelie

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

Okay here's my question. I understand what the hooks are for, but what purpose do the cleats serve?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Wired1

#9 Post by Wired1 »

My cleats were used with elastics to upright my bottom molars which were collapsed inwards. We'll probably use them again, but in the meantime, my ortho flattened them a bit to stop the pain. Sometimes they still bite me, and I'll use wax.

Wax on a lingual surface is a bit more of a craft project -- you need to work it into the cleat and around the cleat in order for it to stick (drying the surface can help too). Press the stuff in with a fingernail or orangewood stick (for manicures). The ball of wax shouldn't be too big or it will surpass the top of the tooth and get flicked off easily.

Part of this is training yourself to relax your tongue so it's not moving around feeling all the bits of brace and wire. Drop your lower jaw a smidge and leave your lips open just slightly. You can even rest the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth for stability. It's like putting a bit in a horse's mouth -- you'll get used to it eventually!

Wax on.... wax off... a whole new meaning :HugeGrin:
Class 2, Division 2
Expander 10/05-8/06
SARPE 11/05
Metal self ligating braces installed 11/05

Rickysa

#10 Post by Rickysa »

Fender,

The cleat on the lingual of the band is also referred to as a "seating lug" and is used when biting the band into position, as well as, removing the band. Some are smaller than others, but they can be removed if they are irritating your tongue.

If you are hitting on the braces, you may be able to have your doc grind part of the band/bracket down to allow your teeth to touch...also, if a tooth is hitting before other teeth, it can become sore due to bearing the brunt of chewing by itself rather than spreading the forces out on all the teeth...

Good luck!

Dr. S