my back Molars are moving!?? help please

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eooo

my back Molars are moving!?? help please

#1 Post by eooo »

I know this should be a question for my orth, but again he is currently busy and have no time to take phone calls. But I want to see if anyone have experienced this before. To give you some background, I have 2 pre-molar extracted so I can pull the 4 fronts teeth backward. My orth is using my last 2 and 3 molar as anchors. He didn’t use the last molar (the biggest one) because I think the brackets will not fit at the back (anyone have this as well??). I believe without the biggest molar as my anchor, my 2 -3 molar might be moving forward!!! The plan was to move the 4 front teeth back to close the gaps. If my molars are moving forward then extracting my pre-molar will be pointless for my overbite treatment!!. The reasons I think is moving is because, when I close my move now, it doesn’t close popularly.. It seems the molars are a bit not inline with the bottom ones and it sore most of the time. This started happening about 3 days ago, after my 2nd adjustment where my orth put on some new elastics.

Thank you in advance all!!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi eooo

Newton's 3rd Law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

If the molars behind the extraction gap are not anchored in some way (for example by use of a Nance arch to brace them against the hard palate) then yes, using them to pull the front teeth backwards might make them shift forwards slightly.

However they are unlikely to move very far or very fast and certainly not as fast as the front teeth. The top molars have 3 roots each and are hard to shift (my ortho IS trying to move my top molars and they are not keen on moving anywhere). Elastics will change the feel of your bite too. Are your bottom teeth braced, including the molars? they will also be moving if that's the case. All these will influence how your bite feels and how your teeth mesh together.

eooo

#3 Post by eooo »

ya my bottom are braced as well.. but im guessing is not going to move as fast as the top since the bottom alway tends to move slower then the top.

Idislikebraces

#4 Post by Idislikebraces »

They might have to put a Nance on u...thats wat i have..though the last time i went she realized that my back molars were moving forward.. <_<
But i got the second to last molars extracted..so maybe thats why..bc they didnt have enough strength to stay back..but its all good now.
hope they fix that! :]
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

Slader01

Re: my back Molars are moving!?? help please

#5 Post by Slader01 »

Molars always move forward. When the primary second molar is lost, the permanent first molar instantly moves forward, and would continue to do so if the permanent second premolar didn't grow in to stop it. Later in life, if you ever lose one of your molars due to decay or another reason, the molar behind it would instantly move forward until it touches another tooth. This usually causes bite problems/tmj. Molars will always move forward. If you have a gap between your molars, it won't be there for long.