Do you ever have single teeth that hurt?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Do you ever have single teeth that hurt?

#1 Post by Kat »

Ever have just one tooth hurt throughout the month?
Any pinging, almost unnatural hurting compared to the others?
Anyone think something is wrong with a tooth when it really is ok or do you just have soreness in them all.
Anything different?

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

All the time. I've had a single tooth hurt so bad I would swear it had a bad cavity...but then a day or two later it quit.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

Yes definitely!

I had one hurt so badly I didn't sleep for two days- even with some panadeine forte! I asked my ortho about it, he said it happens and there's no reason for it, and they can't really explain it!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Rickysa

Re: Do you ever have single teeth that hurt?

#4 Post by Rickysa »

Kat wrote:Ever have just one tooth hurt throughout the month?
Any pinging, almost unnatural hurting compared to the others?
Anyone think something is wrong with a tooth when it really is ok or do you just have soreness in them all.
Anything different?
"Transitory Pulpitis"....which is basically a temporarily mad nerve in the tooth while it's being moved.

Since orthodontic treatment is kind of a "push-me, pull-you" deal, the forces of moving the teeth can shift around the mouth.

Good luck with your treatment!!

Dr. S

Wired1

#5 Post by Wired1 »

Oh yeah... after every adjustment I have to wonder which little devil is going to go "pwing" for a few days (and sometimes, it's two of 'em... and sometimes it starts two or three weeks after adjustment)... go figure. It's the darndest thing with no rhyme or reason. But at least you know things are moving.

If the tooth pulsates and it cold/heat sensitive and doesn't let up, you'll want to see your dentist to make sure all is a-ok.
Class 2, Division 2
Expander 10/05-8/06
SARPE 11/05
Metal self ligating braces installed 11/05

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Yes, yes and yes. Several teeth during treatment have hurt terribly! Sometimes the pain goes away as quickly as it comes sometimes it goes on and on. I've thought "oh-oh..I need a root canal!" but eventually the pain goes away. I've used Sensodyne toothpaste alot during treatment and it helps.

Try not to worry about it too much...its only our teeth rebelling for being moved out of a sound sleep. :roll: :wink: :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Zondrae

#7 Post by Zondrae »

Yep I get this too. I just think everything has settled down for a bit when whammy one goes on the war path. I've got an adjustment today & woke up with one sore tooth! :? What's the deal with that? I would have thought this wire was all done moving around.

wiredkitty

#8 Post by wiredkitty »

I think my teeth has worked out their own roster of transferring pain around my mouth. I think every single tooth has had its day of pain at some point but the pain lessens after a time. Just had my second adjustment so the strong pain is coming back! will be on soft food again I think until it settles. Oh joy!

32yr old Kiwi
Braces on 10 August 06
1st adjustment 21 Sept 06
2nd adjustment 6 Nov 06
Surgery in a year
Expected treatment time: 24 months

jennielee81

#9 Post by jennielee81 »

Yep, still happens 19 months into treatment.

It means PROGRESS! :wink:

You'll get used to it, you won't like it, but you'll get used to it.

CHEERS! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

CLAmom

#10 Post by CLAmom »

I've got an ouchy lateral right now, so yes, one tooth can hurt like a booger. They are rotating this one so pain is expected. Advil is my friend.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Kat

#11 Post by Kat »

Thanks for the replies!
I've been having two teeth one on each side I don't know the names of them but they hurt pretty bad. I can't hardly chew without pain.
It sucks.
Maybe I need time and to stay off these teeth awhile. This is not just soreness like my top teeth they feel like they've been yanked on and hurt with pressure.
Damn I'm having so much fun with this. :roll:
I know I'm supposed to be positive.

CLAmom

#12 Post by CLAmom »

Do you have a power chain by any chance? I've had one on the bottom row for awhile so I'm completely used to that. Today, got one up top, too, just 4 front teeth. Those babies really put the pressure on and can be painful.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Kat

#13 Post by Kat »

Nope, no powerchain.

Buttoneyz

#14 Post by Buttoneyz »

Yes! This happened to my "fang" this weekend while I was away. I was terrified that after all this effort to move the &*^% tooth - it rots on me! But now the pain is gone and now I know it was moving..happy day..I do get the rotating pressure - but this was the first time it was really painful. Thanks for asking this question and for all that answered!

Damons on 10/9/06

cece

#15 Post by cece »

I had one that has been painful with the first 2 sets of wires but it had 2 little metal rings crimped on each side of it so it wouldn't move....last adjustment he didn't use them so much better now.

Other than that, the pain in other teeth changes throughout the weeks between adjustments.