TMJ Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

#16 Post by iBorg »

How does the surgery help the TMJ?

For a picture of a bite plate try:
www.toothlab.co.kr

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

science teacher

TMJ

#17 Post by science teacher »

Chris,
My pain is very one sided. LEFT. I had an enchilada today and had an earache for about an hour. :x

Iborg,
My chiropractor, dentist and ortho all tell me that my jaw cannot be aligned to stop its malfunctioning without making the whole top jaw wider.
My chiropracter actually said "your Jaw is fubar."
On my x-rays you can see all the classic signs of TMJ wear and stretching of the ligaments that hold the cartilage disc in my joint. It will not be a pretty sight soon. I've actually been putting it off for close to 15 years already. :roll:

Kim

Chris

#18 Post by Chris »

Well, mine is the right side only :roll: and my ear sometimes gets that stuffed up feeling as well. :roll: Sometimes when I chew it feels like its moving around in the socket. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rsprouse

Re: TMJ

#19 Post by rsprouse »

My joint pain seems to be one-sided mostly ...how about everyone else?
Bilateral TMJ pain is very uncommon. Most people with symptoms have it on one side. If it is bothering you that much have you sought treatment from a Dentist that specializes in TMD?

Regards,
Rory

iBorg

#20 Post by iBorg »

My TMJ, when it is significant is on the left side. I've had discomfort but not a high level pain on my right side from just trying to find someplace where my jaw feels right. The problem is my bottom molars are at about a 45 degree or shallower angle. My bite is totally off from what I had grown accustomed to.

The thing that got me to start this thread initally was the discomfort that seemed to move. This was not the case prior to braces. At one point I had a significant pain behind my left ear that took forever to diagnose. It wasn't until about two years ago the pain moved to the more classic TMJ locations, still on my left side. With my bite being moved, the location of my discomfort has moved. It is no longer consistent in one location which it previously had been but seems to move around, mainly on the left side although I have felt some discomfort on the right side. My ortho is well versed with TMJ. Her biggest concern with my treatment is getting my bite right.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

science teacher

TMJ

#21 Post by science teacher »

Her biggest concern with my treatment is getting my bite right.

My ortho says that also. What is unfortunate (in my opinion) is that my front teeth look just fine. my problems are all in the back.

My top molars do not meet right. In fact only 2 teeth on the top fit where they are supposed to with the bottom.

Kim

iBorg

#22 Post by iBorg »

Teeth fit together right? Wow what a concept!

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Chris

#23 Post by Chris »

Teeth fit together right? Wow what a concept! Mike
I know what you mean, all my teeth have been shuffled around like blocks and look straight but still doesn't feel right to the bite.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

science teacher

TMJ

#24 Post by science teacher »

I don't know how my OS worded my problems but he got the SARPE covered in the first try.

I really am about to fix this TMJ crap!

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

ucldbmine

#25 Post by ucldbmine »

I have TMJ and had a similar problem when I first got braced. The clenching/grinding at night was making my jaw act up. I called my ortho and got a soft splint which is just a custom made mouth guard. Since then I have had almost no jaw pain since. As my teeth move and the splint doesn't fit as well I just go back into the ortho to have another one made up real quick.