Salt Water Rinses???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braced kiwi girl

Salt Water Rinses???

#1 Post by braced kiwi girl »

Hi,

Ive been reading up a bit on the salt water rinses that everyone says to do. But my ortho never mentioned this to me at all..... What exactly does it do??? And when do I start doing them??? I get extractions on the 21st of this month. Also how much salt for how much water????????

Sorry if theyre silly questions, appreciate your help. :lol:

braced kiwi girl

#2 Post by braced kiwi girl »

Thank you so much Karen, I think I will start straight away, I'm prone to getting ulcers so this should help prevent those!

Cheers to you!!!!!

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

My method is to get a bottle of water and mix it up. Then pour a smaller ammount into a cup and heat it in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Saves mixing, which I can't do well, and the convience factor encourages me to do it.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

braced kiwi girl

#4 Post by braced kiwi girl »

Thanks again guys, apprecate your responses.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

I wonder if it would help to make it a saline solution by adding la little bit of baking soda to the mixture?

This is done for nasal irrigation: distilled water, pure salt, baking soda. The baking soda acts as a buffer.

But of course, the sinuses are different than the mouth. You don't need distilled water for a salt water rinse in your mouth!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Kat

#6 Post by Kat »

I heard salt water rinses rust your teeth. :lol:

ishasha

#7 Post by ishasha »

What about Listerine then? Same effect? Or different? Or...?
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

Rickysa

#8 Post by Rickysa »

Saltwater rinses are good to reduces swollen gums...

Listerene and Peridex kill the bugs that cause the swelling...

Dr. S

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

So which is better? Salt water rinses or Listerene?

Thanks for your participation on this board!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Rickysa

#10 Post by Rickysa »

Hi iBorg,

(That was my favorite episode from STNG btw!)

I really enjoy the participation, and I think both rinses are great...what we tell our patients as far as keeping everything clean is to simply look at every tooth after brushing (and rinsing well :) ) and as long as you don't see leftover hamburger from lunch hanging on somewhere, all is well.

Getting folks in the habit of checking themselves after brushing seems to do the trick, and any other adjunct....flouride rinses, listerene, salt water, is a great benefit.

Dr. S

Betty Bat

What does "toughen your mouth" mean?

#11 Post by Betty Bat »

Several times, I've read kk and others say that salt water rinses will "toughen your mouth" and I can't really figure out what that means. Do salt water rinses have some type of residual effect? Aren't they neutralized by the other things that you eat and drink? I can understand that salt water rinses will have some immediate benefits, but I'm not sure what longer effects they would have.

Thanks for any information and/or enlightenment.

ishasha

#12 Post by ishasha »

Good information. Thanks to everyone.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

Betty Bat

#13 Post by Betty Bat »

KK,
Actually, I had checked Google before I posted my question. I found a bunch of stuff about the antibacterial effect of salt water (makes the mouth more alkaline and the bacteria like an acid environment, osmotic effect takes the water out of the bacteria and the cell walls rupture, ...). And, I found stuff on the soothing effect of salt water different types of injuries, in both people and horses! There was also a bunch of stuff on using salt water when you got piercings and tattoos. And, salt water toughens a bunch of different types of food and the bristles on a new broom. But, I just wasn't sure how your mouth would be different if it was "toughened".

I learned a lot more about salt water than I knew before.