Finally braced and ow!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amy19

Finally braced and ow!

#1 Post by Amy19 »

Hey

Well i finally got braced on sat. I had my last dinner of corn and ribs and ate loads of apples! lol. It went ok, i chose to have metal brackets and purple elastics. It only took half and hour to put my upper and lower brackets on which i thought was excellent.

It was soo weird when she took the lip spreaders out and i felt my mouth full of metal. My ortho was really impressed with how i could speak with them straight away, she said it sounded like i had had them on for ages already. It didnt hurt at all for the 1st 2 days, the only thing was that i couldnt eat because my upper teeth hit my lower brackets when i close my mouth. So i was getting really ocean saying ohhh this is nothing the 12 months are going to fly by, but by my 3rd day god it hurt! i got sores all over my mouth, my gums were bleeding and all my teeth feel loose (but at least one tooth has already moved!)

The only good this is that back teeth dont have brackets on them so i still have naked teeth yey!

so question does eating get easier?? do you teeth always feel loose? and do people always stare at your teeth while your talking? (ive really noticed that)

This will teach me to be soo ocean in future haha! :oops:

sorry for the long post :D

Amy x

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

I only have brackets on top, my bottoms happen in a day and a half but I have experienced some of the same issues.

For sores.....WAX!!! If your arch wire is poking you around the molars make an appointment and have it trimmed down. I suffered this for two weeks. Used wax and salt water to get it healed and in a day had the same problem. Salt water rinses will help with the cuts. OTC meds are a good thing. It will get easier. Eating may be hard but eating will get blood flow around your teeth which will help ease the pain. If you were given a bite wafer, use it. If nothing else treat yourself to some good ice cream. It should be easy to eat and you deserve it.

Finally, relax. It will get better. If you're having as much pain in a couple of days call your ortho and ask for suggestions.

Good luck!!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Amy19

#3 Post by Amy19 »

i was messing around with my webcam so i thought i would post some pics (quite bad it doesnt even pick up on my purple elastics!) but it gives u an idea of what im dealing with.

I will take some better 1s once i recharge me digital camera. I am happy i can see some results after 4 days!

Thanks again

Amy x

Tfiestyone4u

#4 Post by Tfiestyone4u »

Hi Amy,

Just to help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. I got my braces on approx 2 weeks ago. I didn't have any real pain the 1st day or so either. I thought wow this will be a piece of cake! Then...my cheeks became extremely raw and my whole mouth hurt! I did the salt water rinses as many times a day as I could and that really helped. Wax became my best friend! I went thru a TON of it! Then an amazing thing happened, I forgot to put the wax on and realized it 1/2 way thru the day. Now I hardly notice my braces. (except when my bottom bracket catches my cheek which now...doesn't hurt...but it's an odd feeling to have the skin hung up on your bracket!). It honestly does get better. I was so depressed for a whole week of it and now the 2nd week it's like they've been there forever! Good luck and everyone here is so friendly and helpful. You'll do great! :D

Alliharvey

#5 Post by Alliharvey »

Oh my gosh, the staring! Certain people do stare straight at your teeth when you are talking and I want to say, "HELLO! Up Here!!!"
Eating does get easier!! Now food getting stuck everywhere doesn't seem to get easier, but eating does. My teeth don't seem to feel loose, but they do hurt sometimes.