Nance

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tamms

Nance

#1 Post by Tamms »

Hello All!

Well, I will be getting a nance in a few weeks along with a bite plate. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me on what to expect, problems to look out for, care of the appliances etc... And, for those of you who have a nance I'm wondering how long it bothered you and how long it affected your speech. I'm a counselor and I have to talk alot in my profession so I'm just curious. :Questions:

sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance for the answers! :)
Tammy :)

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I've got a Nance but not a bite plate. I would say that within a couple of weeks I didn't really notice it too much. Sometimes it annoys me especially if I get something stuck underneath it, and I do find myself playing with the wires with my tongue when I'm bored or stressed! It might make your tongue a bit sore at first where the wire rubs. Be prepared for that and do your salt water rinses as it really helps.

I still sound odd to myself when I speak, but my husband says I don't sound that different and in case he was just being nice, I checked by recording myself and he was right. The difference in my speech is very subtle.

It's not the easiest appliance to clean. Depending on where the acrylic button touches your palate, you may be able to get floss under there, or failing that, use one of those interdental brushes, or your Waterpik (I'd strongly recommend you get one if you haven't already) and in real emergencies I found that one of those plastic cable ties was flat enough to poke under there to remove stuck debris. i also find that drinking that fizzy water can make it feel fresher underneath (I guess the bubbles clean it up a bit)!

Will your bite plate be removable? If it's a removable one you can just brush with toothbrush and paste, or use a denture cleaning tablet to give it a little soak.

hope this helps!

Tamms

#3 Post by Tamms »

Thanks so much for the reply Lisa! Gosh I never really thought about how to clean underneath that button. :shock:
Well, I will have to go buy a waterpik. I don't have one yet but it's on my shopping list for sure! I'm sure I will have a sore tongue. My tongue never behaves itself with anything new or different in my mouth. Good to know that it will only take a couple weeks to adjust! Whew!

Thanks again!

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I have a bite plate but not a Nance. I sound funny to myself. I hear a lisp. Asked a speech therapist about it and she said that I may be hearing it but others can't and not to wory about it. Its taken a couple of weeks to get comfortable with it.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Tamms

#5 Post by Tamms »

Thanks Mike,
I'll try to remember that if I still sound funny to myself! :) Hopefully it won't be double time to get used to it since I'll have both. LOL. I don't know yet if the bite plate is permanent or one you can take out. Guess I'll find out soon enough!
Thanks again!

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

Tamms:
Weidest thing about it, it now feels unnatural notto have it in.
Hope your experience is as positive as mine.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.