Could someone explain the purpose of SEPARATORS

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsShelbyville

Could someone explain the purpose of SEPARATORS

#1 Post by MsShelbyville »

I know what the word "separate" means but I have crowding in the top and bottom sets of teeth so when my ortho said that I would come in a week before I'm banded to get separators....I admit that I was afraid to ask what they were? (i know stupid me) But I feel comfortable asking out loud on here so I thought I would? Thanks

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Orthodontic treatment generally involves application of mechanical forces to urge improperly positioned teeth into correct alignment. One common form of orthodontic treatment includes the use of elastomeric separators to increase the space between teeth before fitting orthodontic bands. The materials used for elastomeric separators are typically hydrophobic polyurethanes. During insertion of an elastomeric separator, the separator is stretched and inserted between adjacent teeth using a sawing action. Tools that may be used to stretch and insert separators include dental floss and pliers.

Inserting separators is often difficult, especially when the space between the adjacent teeth is small. Once inserted between adjacent teeth, the separator is under compression and generates a force to separate the adjacent teeth. Currently, separator products start out separating teeth quickly and lose effect within about a day. This effect can be due to a combination of decay in compressive force, resulting from relaxation of the separator, and the increasing gap between the adjacent teeth. An additional problem occurs when the teeth move apart and the separator becomes lost in the mouth.

Other Information:

Most patients are ready to start treatment on the same day as the Consultation Appointment by the placement of separators. Separators are small rubber O-rings or metal springs that are placed between specific teeth to create space for orthodontic bands to be placed. This takes only a few minutes. Patients typically come in one week later to have their braces placed.

SDFD TSchott
CODE 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Meryaten wrote:Or, to be incredibly succinct:

Spacers create enough room bewteen your back teeth (molars) to be able to place metal bands round those teeth.

You may experience some discomfort with the spacers - if so, over the counter painkillers do help, as does changing your diet to softer foods for a few days.

There's a lot of useful info posted up in these two parts of Archwired:
http://www.archwired.com/Braces_Basics.htm
viewtopic.php?t=11430

Welcome aboard!
lol oops I forgot to add those pictures :) oh well Meryaten your always there to finish whats left behind :) or even start it! Also I didn't experience much discomfort so some patients are different.

SDFD TSchott
CODE 4

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Meryaten wrote:*giggle*

It's good that you add your perspective as someone who experienced little issue with the spacers too. You're definitely right that we each have our own experiences along the way with this.

That little blue spacer is one that actually fell out of my mouth some 3 or 4 hours after it was placed, when I was having my second round of spacers. Oh boy, am I glad that my ortho's office is conveniently close to my house!
Laughs, yeah I somewhat had the same problem but considering that it was on a friday night that the spacer came out when it was placed that friday morning I just went ahead took that spacer and put that little thing back in. Low and behold thats when I had the slight pain but it went away about 1 hr later. so who knows but thats over I now have bands and I will have my second adjustment on December 5th so I think this round lig colors I will go red on top green on bottom or maybe alternate.

SDFD TSchott
CODE 4

Tamms

#5 Post by Tamms »

I got my separaters in last week and will be banded next week. I do have difficulty eating crunchy or chewy foods and my teeth do ache a little but I haven't had to take any tylenol or anything for it. I had 7 spacers put in and next visit they will band 4 teeth.

And don't worry about not asking a lot of questions to the ortho. My mind usually goes blank when I'm in there. :lol:

Good luck!

Tammy :)

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

Seperators are a commonly used tool by the orthodontic profession to test the pain endurance level of their patients. If they can not endure spacers they will be difficult patients throughout the tratment phase.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

No I'm not.....

Seriously the info above is correct.

No its not.

Wait a second I'm getting voices in my head from my braces.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Transmitting from somewhere in the back of your mouth....

science teacher

spacers

#8 Post by science teacher »

and then there are those of us that have had them SOOOOOO many times we can take them out and put them in a will. :?

My ortho sent me home 8 of those suckers today to put in my mouth on 11/19. I only need 6 but they sent me 2 extras in case I "ping" them in my bathroom and lose them.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

MsShelbyville

#9 Post by MsShelbyville »

Thanks very much for everyone's help! I can't wait to get my free AM Radio in my mouth!

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

You crack me up Iborg lol!
Yes I think that is why orthos put in spacers! The spacers and elastics were the most painful thing I've experienced so far! I'm including the 6 extractions I had in the same day also!

Gennel