Ortho picked.... Records next

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Ortho picked.... Records next

#1 Post by cowlypso »

Okay, so I had my second consultation today. This guy said pretty much word for word what the first guy said, and quoted me a price $400 more. I thought the first price was reasonable anyway (at least from what I've read).

So I'm looking at 2.5-3 years, probably 4 extractions. I've just decided to go ahead with the first guy, since his office is more conveniently located and he's cheaper. I have one more consultation scheduled for next week, which I guess I'll keep just to get one more opinion. But I have a feeling that it's going to be more of the same. So unless he comes in at a better price, I've got my ortho. Plus, he gives a 5% discount for paying cash up front, which I can do (provided that there is a clause in the contract in the event of early termination of treatment with him for whatever reason...).

I scheduled my records exam and consultation with this guy. I'm just waiting on him to give me a call about one last question before I'm sure. I asked the guy I saw today about how they will make sure my front teeth go back (rather than the back teeth going forward). He described an appliance that would hook to molars on both side and go up to the roof of my mouth (it's probably got a name...). So I need to ask the same question of the first guy just to make sure that he's got a plan for keep things going the right direction, too.

I'm also going to see about scheduling my extraction appointment now so I can have it done right after my consultation and not have to wait around.

I'm so excited! It's just disappointing that I couldn't get in sooner for my records, and that I then have to wait 3 weeks for the consultation. I can't stand waiting. (Yeah, I know I should get used to it.... I'm going to be waiting for the next 3 years!)

Is it too hasty of me to be scheduling after only getting two consultations? They both said exactly the same thing and really were pretty close in their estimates.

Oh, and I was talking to my dad last night. He mentioned that he might look into getting braces too, since I'm doing it. He's 59 and has a crooked lateral incisor. So we'll see. Maybe I'll get the whole family into braces by the time I'm done.

Tamms

#2 Post by Tamms »

I went with my ortho after the initial consult. It was the only consult I had but what he explained made perfect sense to me and I liked him and the staff PLUS they took my insurance. So, I went for it. So far, so good. Of course it's really early and I may be eating my words later. :wink: But, I believe that we can sometimes just trust our guts.

Anyway, that appliance is a Nance and I have to get one of those too. Won't that be fun???!!! Anyway, good luck! And don't worry about the wait. I had my consult in July and then went back in Sept for the impressions and just last week got my separaters. So, it's slow for me too!

Tammy :)

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

Glad to hear you are on track, cowlypso! I know what you mean about waiting; it took about two months for me to finally get braced once I picked my ortho. At that point was ready to just get it done!

It sounds like you have a good idea about your treatment, and it's great you like your ortho and his staff.

Good luck, and don't worry, the time will fly by!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Congrats on getting the choice made. I'm sure that you will have a great ortho and that your treatment will fly right on by once you get started.

SDFD TSchott
CODE 4

*NEW SIG CREATED AND HOSTED BELOW*

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

I have to admit I went to one office and the office staff turned me off enough I didn't pursue a consult. The other possible basically said they were full up with children and weren't accepting adults. The third. which was my actual first consult, made sense. To keep from backing out I had separtors installed before I left.

Good luck on your journey!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

Thanks for the reassurance. I think that this is going to work. And I've got the back-up third consult just to make sure.

I think he was talking about a Nance. But that was the second ortho. I'm still waiting for the guy I'm going with to call me back. I left a message this afternoon, but there's not really a big hurry since I've just got some questions. I need to see if he plans on using a Nance or something else to keep my molars back where they belong after they do extractions.

Also, I called my DDS and they said that they think my gums are fine. They called the ortho (who had recommended a perio consult) and the ortho said that is standard procedure for all their adult patients. So I might be able to skip that step. If not, hopefully it's covered by insurance!

Finally, I need to check with the ortho about scheduling extractions. It's most likely going to be 4 premolars. Since I have to wait 2 weeks for the records, then another 3 weeks for the consult, I don't want to then get held up again with a wait to get the extractions.

Maybe I'll see if they have a cancellation list so I might be able to get the records done sooner. I guess that's a slight downside about this guy than the other guy. The other place that I was at today (more $$), said that they could do my records right then and there if I didn't mind waiting 20 minutes or so. But it's farther away, more expensive, and he seems to want to do exactly the same thing as the guy I saw first.

So, contingent upon the ortho's answers to my questions, I'll be going for it. I just wish I could get started now! I actually whined to the receptionist this afternoon about that. She said that the soonest they had for records was 2 weeks, then a 3 week wait, and I started whining, "But I don't want to wait, I want to do it now!" And I guess if I don't like his answers to my questions, I can always go back to the other place that's a little more expensive.

Also, I'm still on my parent's insurance, and we've come up with a way to save me even more money. They have the option of setting up one of those medical spending accounts. My dad figured out the amount of taxes that would have been taken out of the $5000 that would be needed. So he'll put the $5000 in there, we'll pay the $5000 for my braces, and then get the $5000 tax free. So he's going to then only have me pay him the amount minus taxes. With his tax bracket, that's about a $1500 savings. So pretty much it works out exactly the same either way for him, because he gets the same amount of money whether he diverts it through the account and gets reimbursed or if he just takes the paycheck and pays taxes, but I save $1500. Not a bad deal, huh?

So for those of you using those tax-free medical accounts (of if you have one and you aren't using it...). Definitely a good way to save money, even if it doesn't feel like it. When you add it all up, you really are saving a lot by using that account.

About my parents.... I think my mom would like braces, too, since she's got some bad crowding on her lowers. But both she and my dad have asked the DDS in the past and he gave reasons why they weren't good candidates. However, this is the same DDS that denied that I needed braces (and later said that I wasn't a good candidate) throughout my entire childhood. I told my dad to just forget what this DDS says and go get an ortho consult anyway.

Oh, and my mom mentioned to my dentist how I'm getting braces and how I'm a bit upset that he didn't work with us to take care of it years ago. Apparently he got a bit nervous and started spouting off all of his various rationales for why he didn't send me to an ortho. I think he was worried I'd sue him. Of course, it would be nice for him to pay for my braces, but I really don't see the need to sue anybody over it.