10 Things your Orthodontist Won't Tell You (Article)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

turrrtlelove22

10 Things your Orthodontist Won't Tell You (Article)

#1 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I found this just doing some research...thought you all might be interested...It's 2 yrs old so I dont' know if it's been posted here before...searches are difficult on here sometimes...(to me)

http://www.smartmoney.com/10things/inde ... vember2004
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Great article!

Thank you for posting the link!

Does anyone want to add to the list of things that you feel most orthodontists don't tell you about your treatment? We can make our own extended story!

I agree about the "non-retention" tidbit NOT being the ortho's fault. Who told the patient to only wear their retainer for a year? Certainly not their ortho. The patient was just lazy. As for me, after paying 5 grand and spending 3 years in braces, I wear my retainers almost every night!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

eoberhauser

#3 Post by eoberhauser »

Maybe I have just the most super duper Orthodontist, but these things were all explained to me in detail not only in my original consultation but are brought up at different occasions during my treatment. My Ortho is Board Certified and he's wonderful. I think if you're dealing with the hypothetical Ortho in this article you should bear some of the responsibility. I believe that consumers have a duty to educate themselves on whatever it is they are venturing into. Just my 2 cents.

Erin

turrrtlelove22

#4 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Meryaten I can agree with it being a little on the negative side. Especially for someone as myself who has not started treatment yet. It made me doubt even more if I want to go through with it. But at the same time it gave me a lot of info to consider once I do start treatment and the options that I have as me being the patient and it being my money that I am paying for out of pocket. Therefore I am willing to do all that is needed to keep my smile worth every bit of the $5,500 I will pay for it.

You are very welcome Lynn, and I agree with you and Meryaten about the retainer thing. That was just her own ignorance.

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

turrrtlelove22

#5 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I believe that consumers have a duty to educate themselves on whatever it is they are venturing into.
I can't agree more Erin. That is exactly why I am taking the time to read as much as I can, on this site and others. And on the internet and from ppl I know that have had braces. Every chance I get I ask someone who their orthodontist is just in case they happen to be the one I chose. This is a big decision for me and I have no intentions in going into blind. So like you said I am educating myself before I venture into this. I am very glad I found this article and others. As well as this website. I have yet to find one that does a better job!!!... I love this place. I get a lesson in Orthodontics everyday!!!... :D :D :D :D

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

I actually just ran across this the other day as I was doing my own reading.

I definitely agree with #2, that fees are negotiable. I'm getting a 5% discount for paying cash up front. Of course, I'm going to make sure that there is something in the contract that discusses what happens if I happen to move or if he happens to stop practicing or whatever else could cause issues with having paid for treatment that I can no longer use...

My overall life rule has become to get everything in writing. Pretty much, no matter what it is, get it in writing. Like when you are flying your dress in checked baggage and the bridal store in one state says that the store in the other state will press it for free on arrival. Get it in writing. Or when somebody says that they will be offering you a position. Get it in writing.

turrrtlelove22

#7 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

OH, no biggie Meryaten...you didn't come off angry at all... :D :D :D

It is so true that we have to take respondsability for some of the things that go on during any kind of treatment. I think some ppl sometimes give themselves over too freely and give too much trust to their doctor or whoever. In doing this they don't realize that they are not always getting the best they can get, especially when they don't question things. When i go back in to start treatment....I'm gong to ask questions I already know the answers and questions I have asked before just to see if things are consistent. This whole thing has piqued my curiousity and my list of questions is getting longer!!!...hehe :D

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

bip

#8 Post by bip »

I agree with everyone too on the negative slant to his article and it is a point well taken that kk makes that it is a reflection of the writer and our society in general. I thought the same thing meryaten about the girl who had to get braces again - and who's fault was that honey???? Unfortunately, we are a society that really lacks in personal responsiblity a good deal of the time. Nothing worthwhile in life comes without a price, whether that price be emotional, financial, time, and/or just plain hard work and stick-to-it-iveness. Many people are not willing to pay that price. I think what the article does do on the positive side is bascially what led turrrtlelove22 to post it - it raises questions, slanted or not, that we should probably all ask, or at least think through, when making a decision so big as this. And, when taken with all the other research, it probably will not stop anyone from going through with braces - research is great - it is how many of us found this site!

newmetal

#9 Post by newmetal »

Thanks for the article, it made a great read. Although, i dont quite get the purpose of such an article..is it trying to suggest braces are not worth the hassle?

I gather the person writing the article doesnt have braces, as in the uk gum is something we are told never to attempt with a brace....................................

"Chewing sugarless gum, too, can help by stimulating ligaments in the teeth."

Many Thanks

Newmetal

MsShelbyville

#10 Post by MsShelbyville »

Thanks that was very helpful to me. And like everyone else says that lady need not blame her troubles on her ortho!

MsShelbyville

#11 Post by MsShelbyville »

Are there any precautions one should take while chewing the gum... Because I figured that most orthos forbid you to chew gum

Rickysa

#12 Post by Rickysa »

I think gum got a bad rap from back when all the teeth were banded and the anterior bands didn't adapt to the teeth very well....so gum would pull them loose.

With today's brackets.....chew away!

Side note: While posterior teeth vary in size, they are fairly consistant in shape, so finding a properly sized/shaped band is much more predictable than fitting a "stock" anterior band because anterior teeth vary in size and shape.

Dr. S