Unbelievable! Off to a bad start ???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ellebee

Unbelievable! Off to a bad start ???

#1 Post by ellebee »

As I mentioned in my earlier post, one of my top front brackets came off on the way home from being braced and I had to turn around and have it reglued and the top arch wire redone.

I mentioned to the tech that I had veneers, but she didn't use the proper etch the first time.

What I don't understand is, when the first one came off within 30 minutes, why they didn't reglue both of them. I asked, but the ortho tugged on the other one and said it was fine. I said, are you sure, and he said yes.

So, tonight it came off when I was swallowing spagettios (not even chewing them)! And I am going out of town tomorrow. I have a flight at 10:40.

I called the answering service and they said it wasn't an emergency, but I said I'd like to speak to the ortho anyway. He called back and agreed to meet me at 7:30 to reglue it, because he practices on the other side of town on alternate days. Naturally, it is in the opposite direction of the airport. Nothing like adding an extra 50 miles.

But the alternative would be to live with it unglued until Monday when they open at 9, and then be late for work, etc. Plus, I'd rather feel like it was doing its work and not lose five days.

Considering that I made three trips for spacers, and counting two trips today, that will make six trips in nine days. I hope that is a record and not the norm.

Well, I am adjusting. As long as I don't eat or talk, the misery level is bearable.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

bip

#2 Post by bip »

How annoying. i agree good for you on insisting they fix it. When my stepson got his brackets four of them popped off in the waiting room while he was checking out for the day! At least it happened while he was still there!

ghostmyimag3

#3 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

What kinda answering service do they got, that is an emergency in my opinion!!And like it was said before i'm also glad you stood your ground! I feel better when i eat, as long as i don't chew too hard. Although at times it feels like i can't put my molars together hehe.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

MsShelbyville

#4 Post by MsShelbyville »

Just when you think it can't get any worse...it does!

neelie

#5 Post by neelie »

I hope you have your over the counter pain meds with you. Taking Tylonal or the like helped me that first week. Try chewing soft foods....scrambled eggs, pan cakes, baked potatoes. Everyone told me you have to chew to get the blood flowing in the gums which eases the pain. I'm on the other side of 50 and as much as I dislike having all this stuff in my mouth I am very happy I FINALLY got brave and took this step towards a nice smile - something I've dreamed of for years. Hang in there!