Possibly having too much fun

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bip

Possibly having too much fun

#1 Post by bip »

Well, my day has finally come and gone. After two months of consultations, extractions, spacers and bands i finally have a car in my mouth! Or at least that's how i chose to describe it instead of saying metal mouth and then my kid said - but cars are mostly fiberglass and i said - details, details, whatever!

Anyway, it is ungodly weird. My main points of interest now are talking without - A - mistakenly clicking my front teeth together because that really HURTS and B - talking without spitting on myself. So, i am practicing speaking slowly and enunciating...

Other than that, it being ungodly weird and me being ungodly weird i am actually having a blast! One colleague immediately told me i looked 16 so i guess there are added benefits to this. My lips feel bigger so i'm just pretending they are naturally sexy. I put gloss on them because it works better than chapstick for me and my kid said - now you REALLY look 16!
The extra brushing and rinsing i haven't really minded. My hubby says it is because i'm such a neat freak it gives me something else to do.

It gives new people you meet a topic for conversation, it makes you question whether it is really worth it to eat this or that at 8 o'clock at night when you've already rinsed, brushed, flossed for the evening, it makes you concentrate on speaking more clearly (which i have to speak at work ALOT to individuals and groups), it is good for your health and good for your smile so right now i'm pretty positive about the whole thing. Now, granted, it is only going on two days so..... :wink: things could change!

Anyway, I've taken every piece of advise from this board and so far they've all been right on the mark! Just some encouragement for people that are still trying to decide. So far, it really seems to be what you make of it!

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

It’s great you're having fun. I think the brace experience reinforces the old saying, "Smile at the world and the whole world smiles back."

This is what we make it. A positive attitude will make this a positive experience.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

newmetal

#3 Post by newmetal »

Great that your enjoying them. Wish i could say the same..ha!

Newmetal

newmetal

#4 Post by newmetal »

Great that your enjoying them. Wish i could say the same..ha!

Newmetal

ohmyjaw

#5 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi bip,

Great to hear you're having fun! It WILL get easier to talk, and your mouth WILL get used to all the extra stuff in it. Pretty soon you will forget all about the braces being there.

But it is fun, isn't it, feeling like a teenager again... I look really young anyways - I am 28 - and with the braces it's just that much better...

Congrats on taking the plunge!
Last edited by ohmyjaw on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotBob1

#6 Post by NotBob1 »

Why not have fun with it? I was timid at first, didn't smile much....now I could care less! :wink:
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Joual

#7 Post by Joual »

That's great bip! Your post will definitely help others who are undecided!

ChangingBraces

#8 Post by ChangingBraces »

Well I dont really like looking younger, cuz I look pretty young already....but I do like my smile better now than before cuz the braces hide my ugly teeth :D I wouldnt smile before & I actually do now. My sister says braces look like jewlery for your teeth!
Dont worry, you do get used to them in time. I hardly use wax anymore, I can eat almost anything again, and I'm finally getting the hang of flossing.
BTW, I say I have a can opener in my mouth...:D

Clover

#9 Post by Clover »

Loved your post bip, and I'm glad you're feeling so positive about your new braces. Don't worry about them feeling a bit weird, in a couple of weeks you'll forget you're even wearing them. I had to chuckle about the eating thing you mentioned. I've finally found something that keeps me off the chocolate! People keep asking me my secret, as I've lost a few pounds since being braced - I just tell them to get braces! Best wishes on your journey x :)

science teacher

fun

#10 Post by science teacher »

Bip,

It was great to read your post. I start the journey on Wednesday when I get my RPE.

I look younger than my age and teach Freshmen in high school. Somebody asked why I'd do braces at my age. I replied I look young I act young and I understand 15yos. I'll have to remember to get lip gloss to wear at school!
:lol:

Kim

bip

#11 Post by bip »

OH yeah, you gotta do the glittery or it just isn't even worth it! I can't speak for science teacher but the color i have is called "glimmer". I'd highly recommend it! :P Thanks to everyone for their kind words of support! I'm so psyched for my first adjustment - I am ready for colored ligs!

Rickysa

#12 Post by Rickysa »

bip wrote: I'm so psyched for my first adjustment - I am ready for colored ligs!
I love to see this from our adult patients! During their first consult, they usually ask about the ceramics because they don't won't their braces to be noticable....then about a few months in treatment, I hear them say...."hey how about those glow in the dark pink ones this time!"

Dr. S

newmetal

#13 Post by newmetal »

Wish i was having as much fun. Im really tired of these now if im honest, i find that somedays i can wake up and speak fine with braces but somedays i will wake up and find it really difficult. Anyone else get this?

Many Thanks

Newmetal

lemonlyme

#14 Post by lemonlyme »

I have upper six ceramics, and got pink the first time, and people kept making stupid remarks like "you have lipstick all over your teeth!" and on my birthday someone said "do you have a grill on?" It's so frustrating.

I really liked the pink, but because of the remarks i went with white at my last adjutment. Well!!! White sucks for me personally, it stains-and i'm not about to give up food i love. I'm getting pink and black and my next adjustment-I'm 22 years old and i have braces! WOHOO!! :D

bip

#15 Post by bip »

New Metal yes i have that speaking problem too - i never associated it with dehydration meryaten - i will keep an eye on that. I first noticed it when i was trying to change my voice mail message on my cell.

Speaking of things you can no longer do easily - i have a horse. one of the "cues" that is often given to a horse to pick up the canter is to make a smooching sound. Well, last night i discovered that i cannot smooch!!!! :? LOL. My horse was confused because she was getting the body signal but the weird noise her rider was make just obviously did not make sense to her! Anyway, it isn't the end of the world but, yes, there are things that i am like - dangit, this is really interfering with my chi!

and just think nm - it isn't forever. time goes quickly (unfortunetly if you ask me) and before you know it you'll be naked!