How do braces feel vs. SARME and an expander?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overseasmel

How do braces feel vs. SARME and an expander?

#1 Post by overseasmel »

Just reading all these horror stories about the first few days/weeks of braces - how awful they feel in your mouth, how you can't eat etc etc. Just wondering if there are any braces-wearers out there who had surgically-assisted maxillary expansion and then had to wear the expander for 6 or so months, and then how adjusting to braces compared to that experience?

I had the surgery (which was oh-so-fun) and then had to turn the screw for 2 months (13.5mm gap at back, 9mm gap between front teeth), and I just wanted some comparison to know what I am in for!

Thanks again.

Mel

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

I have had my braces for just over two weeks and it really has not been bad at all. After the first week I really have not noticed them - my incisors are tender, and thanks to the salt water rinses I have only had two small mouth sores and they healed very quickly. Like KK said, your attitude is the most important factor. If you haven't seen Brandy's blog you should really check it out - she details her SARPE and braces adventures - the link is over on the surgery board.

summergirl

#3 Post by summergirl »

I did not have the surgery but did have the expander in for just 2 weeks shy of one year.Braces went on a few months later.Tops and then a few months later bottoms.Braces are a breeze compared to the expander.
Summergirl

overseasmel

I'll find out soon!

#4 Post by overseasmel »

Well, tomorrow is B-day, so I'll find out the comparison soon! Wish me luck :shock: