Getting braced on Wednesday 8th Nov - need abit of advice!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ghostmyimag3

Teeth

#16 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

That is true, i was told a minimum of 18 months. And that's with no complications and doing what i'm supposed to.

eagle

#17 Post by eagle »

My two cents; go for the ceramics and enjoy them, improve your bite and appearance, you'll be glad you did. I had ceramic on both top and bottom. My ortho said it didn't make any difference in the length of time I would have them. I also got married with them on and in the photos it is tough to tell I had braces. (But then again, I am a guy and I think the bride worries more about how everything is on the wedding day.)

onny

Re: We are getting braced the same day!

#18 Post by onny »

kay wrote:
ghostmyimag3 wrote:I am also getting my braces on Wednesday!Did they say that it may throw your bite off any? I've seen many people get their uppers done and later on they'd get their lowers done. Not sure as to why though.
Hi, wow we're getting braced on the same day!! My ortho hasnt really mentioned anything about the bite issue, but i am assuming that it might be ok as so many people seem to get their uppers done and then their lowers. But i am going to ask him on wednesday and maybe you should do the same too for piece of mind! Hope it goes well! :)
Me too on wednesday 8th =)

kay

#19 Post by kay »

[quote="onny" Me too on wednesday 8th =)[/quote]

Hi Onny! Another one to join the club then! Hope it goes well. I am getting both nervous and excited now!

kay

#20 Post by kay »

I'm having my upper and lowers done. I have crowding in both areas. Here are some pictures of my teeth currently.
As you can see i have spacers at the moment. In the first pic my bottom lip and chin are long looking because of the way my upper teeth come out.I suffer from TMJ also.[/quote]

Hiya ghostmyimag3!!

When are you due to get braced? Have u decided which ones u're goin to get yet? Ur top teeth dont look over crowded to me but yeh will look perfect when they move them back slightly! Hope all goes well for you! :D

kay

#21 Post by kay »

eagle wrote:My two cents; go for the ceramics and enjoy them, improve your bite and appearance, you'll be glad you did. I had ceramic on both top and bottom. My ortho said it didn't make any difference in the length of time I would have them. I also got married with them on and in the photos it is tough to tell I had braces. (But then again, I am a guy and I think the bride worries more about how everything is on the wedding day.)
Thanks for you reply Eagle! Its the night before my braces and i'm still contemplating which ones to get!! I am gonna have 1 last crack with trying to get the ceramics and im hopin my ortho will turn around and say it wont take as long! If he still sticks to his 6 month story i may just have to go for the metals and take them out for the wedding. And to be honest i think i would even worry if i kept my ceramics in on the wedding day! I would want everythin off!!

ellebee

#22 Post by ellebee »

I'm also getting braces tomorrow, 11/8. I'm getting ceramics upper and lower. I can't wait to get the spacers out!

My ortho originally told me 12 to 18 months in my first consult. In my second consult, after my x-rays and photos, he said 18 months. But I noticed my chart was marked 18-24 months.

I'm really motivated to get done in the shortest time so I will be religious about keeping appointments and wearing elastics or whatever.

I'm also getting married, probably in the summer of 2008 (just got engaged). I talked to a gal in the ortho's waiting room who is getting married next November and the ortho is going to take her braces off for the wedding and put them back on after.

I'm also thinking that my uppers may be done faster than my lowers. They are pretty straight but my bite is off on one side and I think they just have to be moved a short distance. My lowers are another story, I think they have far to go. But we shall see.

In the meantime, I am extremely nervous and even considering bailing out. Can you quit in the middle of treatment if you've had enough?

Good luck to all, especially those getting braced tomorrow, like me.

:)

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

kay

#23 Post by kay »

Hi Elle! I am gettin more and more swayed to get the ceramics 2moro! I've been takin on board what other people have and also their advice. And i think its very true what some people say about an ortho not being able to definately say that my teeth will be completed for my weddin day If i get the metal ones on this basis and put up with them for the next 9 months and then realise i still need to wear them for longer, i will be pretty peed off!! Especially gettin around the prob of having braces for my honeymoon! I doubt my ortho will allow me to keep them off for 2 weeks!!!

I think i might get the ceramics like u and just take the risk and see how well they move! I am inspired by a few posts on here from people who have had ceramics and their progress has been so quick! Fingers crossed that'l b the case for you and me too!!

Congrats on ur engagement by the way! & all the best with ur braces! :D

ghostmyimag3

#24 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

kay wrote:I'm having my upper and lowers done. I have crowding in both areas. Here are some pictures of my teeth currently.
As you can see i have spacers at the moment. In the first pic my bottom lip and chin are long looking because of the way my upper teeth come out.I suffer from TMJ also.
Hiya ghostmyimag3!!

When are you due to get braced? Have u decided which ones u're goin to get yet? Ur top teeth dont look over crowded to me but yeh will look perfect when they move them back slightly! Hope all goes well for you! :D[/quote]

Tomorrow Morning at 8am. I'm excited but trying to figure out why i'm excited about my teeth being sore for a few days lol. Regardless it will be worth it. My top teeth have actually spread more than they were a few years ago since my wisdom teeth were cut out. I pushed back on them quite a bit too every night hoping they'd move. Im going traditional braces on upper and lower. I wanted to have colors put on them. May as well have fun with them lol

iBorg

#25 Post by iBorg »

I nkow I may be late....but if not do them BOTH! Nothing is more frustrating than to go through this hassle only to have to repeat it again. I had braces first in my late teens. Due to poor work, lack of retainer use and other issues I'm doing it again at 48. Yesterday I talked to the person who inspired me to do this. She commented that since I've been through this before, I know what to expect. Not in the least with the way technology has changed. What I do know is if your bite is wrong and you have any tendency for TMJ the suffering you'll have will far outweigh whether or not you had a little extra sparkle in your mouth on your wedding day. Maybe you could get hubby to be to do the same ting. I'm sure that would make a memory!

GOOD LUCK!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

kay

#26 Post by kay »

iBorg wrote:I nkow I may be late....but if not do them BOTH! Nothing is more frustrating than to go through this hassle only to have to repeat it again. What I do know is if your bite is wrong and you have any tendency for TMJ the suffering you'll have will far outweigh whether or not you had a little extra sparkle in your mouth on your wedding day.
Mike
Hi Mike! Thank you for your reply! And no u were not too late i have another 11 hours to go!!! I am definately looking to get both top and bottom done now. I will get my tops done 2moro and enquire with my dentist about gettin my 2 bottom ones out. You are right, better to get them done at the same time. There have been so many people on here that had braces as a child and due to not wearing retainers regularly are having to get them done again. I didnt even know teeth are prone to move about still, i assumed once they are straightened they will stay like that for life! I think if this point had been stressed enough when people were younger it may have prevented alot of the repeat cases now. I am sorry to hear that you're having to get them done again too. I was told that i would get that fixed retainer which they will put in at the back of my teeth. Maybe you could get that one too when you're done. Good luck with it! :)

neelie

#27 Post by neelie »

Kay, I have the same problem....over crowding and overlapping front tooth. I've been in ceramic on top for a little over a month and already the overlapped tooth has straightened out. This is the first time I have seen all of my two top front teeth! The one tooth always covered part of the next tooth. Good luck! :D Neelie

kay

#28 Post by kay »

[b]neelie[/b] wrote:Kay, I have the same problem....over crowding and overlapping front tooth. I've been in ceramic on top for a little over a month and already the overlapped tooth has straightened out. This is the first time I have seen all of my two top front teeth! The one tooth always covered part of the next tooth. Good luck! :D Neelie
Hi Neelie! Oh wow u have the same prob! Or should i say had! Its my overlapped front tooth that im looking forward to being straightened out the most! I just cant imagine how it will look all lined up!! Thank you for ur post, cant wait to see some changes like you have! Hope the rest of your treatment goes well for you! :D

onny

#29 Post by onny »

Hey Kay,

how did it went out, u got ceramics now? I have got both top and bottom metal done yesterday.

You mentioned u will ask your "dentist" again, why you dentist? does u dentist do u braces? Not an orthodontist? Dentists usually are much less qualified for braces.

If i were you, i would go with top and bottom full ceramics for the least visibility and probably wouldn't even take them out for wedding, cos they hardly will be visible on pics, except maybe for very close pictures, but then, like others mentioned, there are options to manipulate pictures and erase u braces from them, or even better getting them temporarily removed for some days. So the best is that u relax now and have a nice marriage next year, with nice aligned teeth :)

good luck on your journey..

bip

#30 Post by bip »

I'm weighing in late too but i agree with tmost on the timeframe and the wedding thing. Pics can be doctored, most are from far away and by that time, you'll be so used to your braces you may not want to go through the hassle of getting them off then on again.

I too, like you and neelie, have the overcrowding and overlapping front tooth thing going on. I also (have had my braces for only a week) am looking forward to seeing both my front teeth entirely. How exciting!

I agree with the doing the whole shebang. Get 'em all fixed while you can - you'll be happier later. I went for metal on top and bottom. Ceramics were more expensive in my case - my ortho didn't mention longer treatment time so that wasn't an issue. I just figured, I'm 38 years old and if i can't handle some people looking funny @ me at this point in my life, my skin isn't thick enough. :wink:

Whatever you decided, welcome and good luck!