Anyone need a root canal because of your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Anyone need a root canal because of your braces?

#1 Post by Kat »

Anyone need a root canal because of movement of your teeth caused buy having braces?

If so what were your symptoms?

My ortho told me in the beginning there was a chance of some people needing a root canal because of the stress on your teeth whlie moving. Said he never saw it personally but knew of it happing.

What were the differences in your tooth pain in the root canal tooth compared to regular adjustment pain?

I may be up against one and don't the difference in sensations of a regular adjustment and a oncoming root canal problem tooth.

I guess I really need to know is if pinging or zinging in a tooth other than just the dull soreness we feel is normal with braces?

:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm sorry about the crying here I just can't help it to well.

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

My teeth that needed root canlas didn't have any pain like you describe. I had extreme sensitivity to cold and to a lesser extent heat. It is hard, but try not to worry too much until you know there is a problem. Remember that a lot of people on here say that they have pain in a single tooth and often it seem to last a long time. If you are really worried have your ortho recommend a doctor so you can go get an evaluation. My eval included a digital x ray and an ice cube :wink:

Rickysa

#3 Post by Rickysa »

Kat,

Braces alone can't cause a healthy tooth to need a root canal (unless the tooth is moved completely out of the bone :o...which would never happen)...

Sometimes the discomfort of tooth movement mimics the pain associated with a tooth needing a root canal...it's called "transitory pulpitis".

However, a tooth that is already "sick" from decay or even past trauma may become symptomatic during orthodontic treatment...moving the tooth can make the already sick tooth hurt and require a root canal.

Hope this helps!

Dr. S
Last edited by Rickysa on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

Kat, after reading the good doctor's reply I should add that my teeth that needed root canal's were already damaged - one fractured from my poor bite and the other had hidden decay under a filling (grrrr).

Alimommy2

#5 Post by Alimommy2 »

I never had a problem from the braces - but I do have two root canals due to root damage after a car accident. I didn't know about it, there were no symptoms and no pain, but my dentist did pulp vitality tests on the teeth and said the pulp was dead :(