Moving your own teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Moving your own teeth?

#1 Post by newmetal »

I saw another poster post the other day that he had recieved good results from using his fingers to gently put pressure on his teeth for them to move in a certain way. Does this work? Sounds well dangerous to me?

Newmetal

kazan again

#2 Post by kazan again »

sounds like a receipe for disaster to me unless you want them to snap off, or you want to damage the roots or both

Danielle

#3 Post by Danielle »

I wouldn't try it... though when I had to apply wax I had to use some pressure to get it to stick and I could see my teeth move a little during that process.

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

I think that if your ortho wanted you to do this he/she would say something. I would be too afraid of doing damage to the root/ bone/gum by messing with the process. I also saw that post the other day - remember that guy might have done damage that he doesn't even know about yet.

pippy

#5 Post by pippy »

Eewwww...it's bad enough having to put pressure on them to get wax on!!! Wouldn't want to be pushing them around deliberately :yuck:

Dramagyrl

#6 Post by Dramagyrl »

I found in the initial few weeks that I had braces it felt good to gently wiggle or moreso, put pressure, on lose teeth. Certainly not moving them or guiding them in a direction, just some gentle pressure for a moment, and it helped the pain go away easier.
I think part of that was TMJ though. I went from unintentionally pounding my teeth together every night, to being unable to eat and feeling so much pain. The gentle touching or lighly chewing on something cold would help.

My point is that gentle touching could be helpful for pain relief, but never forceful or with an intention to move the teeth - I leave that part to the braces and my ortho.

xtrememkovr

#7 Post by xtrememkovr »

I was wondering when someone might mention this.

I'm an obedient student/citizen/patient. I do what the DR tells me to do. Even when I read things on this forum that seem "innocent" I always ask about it - or ask the office that I go to about it. I'm paying for these braces - other folks aren't. So if something happens as a result of some advice I've taken from someone who is not a doctor - are they going to pay for it?

Nope.

X.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. - Marianne Williamson.

BraceKate

#8 Post by BraceKate »

The first time around that I had braces, I went through my dentist because that's all my parents could afford. He actually encouraged me to push down on my fang help move it! And I remember even my own mom giving me this advice even before that, when my teeth were so obviously crooked. She thought it would just move down on its own.

Well, years later, after the fang started moving back up (this was a cheap job. I never even got a retainer) I thought back on my dentist's advice and decided, okay, I'll try pushing it back down. I was quite diligent about it, too, and I believe there was some movement.

My current dentist will not confirm this, but shortly after beginning my personal orthodontic treatment, the front tooth immediately next to it turned dark. I think I killed the tooth.

Years after that, I am in braces yet again, but this time I'm getting a quality job. My dentist has bleached the tooth.

Long story short: don't try to move your teeth with your fingers.