Cost of extractions and other extraction questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Cost of extractions and other extraction questions

#1 Post by cowlypso »

I spent almost 40 minutes on the phone today scheduling perio and extraction appointments and going back and forth between my dentist and ortho. Lots of excitement there. Fortunately, I managed to get a perio consult for two days before my post-records ortho consult, so the timing is going okay so far.

I am working on the assumption that all goes well with the perio and that the ortho decides to do extractions (both consults so far have mentioned that extractions will probably be needed, 2 or probably 4). So I called the guy who pulled my wisdom teeth 6 years ago and tried to make an appointment for soon after my consult so I can keep things rolling. Of course, the receptionist wasn't sure what to do with me when I called and asked for an appointment for "probably 2-4 premolar extractions." But we finally got it booked for the day after the ortho consult.

She quoted me a price of $225 per tooth. I looked at the "dental cost calculator" online, and for "simple extractions" they are saying the national average is $100 per tooth, and the highest fees nationwide are $175 per tooth, but these are as of 2004. So of course I'm wondering if they are charging me an arm and a leg to take my teeth... They aren't impacted at all. Just happy little premolars taking up too much room in my mouth.

Also, I asked about anesthesia. She said that the price includes the local injections. They don't do IV sedation with erupted premolars. The gas isn't covered by insurance and is $50 out of pocket. I asked about a prescription for some sort of pill, and she said that they don't do that, but I could check with my regular doctor.

Now, I suppose that the IV sedation is probably overkill after reading about people's experiences, but I am truly freaking out about this. I am absolutely terrified of getting my teeth pulled. I had the IV sedation for my wisdoms (they were seriously impacted), so I never heard, felt, or saw a thing. But just the thought of them reaching in there and yanking out my teeth that are firmly anchored into place totally turns my stomach. I just don't know how I would be able to sit there with just the local without jumping out of the chair and running out of the room! I guess I'm not afraid of pain so much as just entirely grossed out by the whole idea. So I'd love some sedation of some sort in addition to the local.

So I'm wondering...
1. What is the typical cost of premolar extractions per tooth (is $225 too much to pay)?
2. Was anybody else this freaked out by the whole thing, did you do any sort of sedation, and how on earth did you make it through without being tied down??? :yikes:

pippy

#2 Post by pippy »

I can only comment on the Aussie prices....mine worked out at $250 for wisdom teeth and $150 each for the premolars - all done under general anaesthetic so I can't offer any advice there......I was sucha chicken I needed the gas just so they could get the IV in!!

$225 for premolars sure sounds a lot!!

florencegal

#3 Post by florencegal »

Hi cowlypso

Again I can't really help out on the price as I'm in the UK. I'm signed up to a dental payment plan (which I'm loving) which covers most "basic" treatments completely, including extractions so after the registration fee I pay just £16 a month and can waltz out of the surgery without so much as pulling out the cheque book :D I guess £225 does sound a lot so maybe you should shop around, especially as they can't offer you the sedation you might like.

Let me tell you though that I am the most squeamish person ever when it comes to anything involving blood and poking around under the skin but getting my extractions done was a breeze! (I've got a longish thread in the Our Braces Stories forum where I bang on repeatedly about how easy it all has been :wink: ) I think I just found a very "zen" place in my head where I thought about what getting the extractions done meant in the wider scheme of things: getting braced and getting a smile to be proud of. Needles usually bring me out in a cold sweat and copious tears for days before but I just got on with it - I found humming my favourite songs in my head over and over reallly helped, however weird that sounds! It was all over in minutes (50 for 4 premolars) - the only thing that grossed me out a little bit was feeling the roots "crunch" as (I guess) they broke off but by that point I'd told myself not to care and it's only a half second thing. I did get the nitrous oxide though and can recommend it - you're still aware of what's going on but it all seems somewhat muffled and distant and not quite real. Like being drunk! You will surprise yourself with what you can get through in order to get your perfect smile, the inner strength will step up when you need it. But if it will make you calmer do shop around to see if another dentist can offer you what you're looking for - at a better price! And finding a dentist with a good bedside manner will mean the world to you too, make sure it's someone you feel comfortable with.

Best of luck

x

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Hi cowlypso

Like florencegal I live in the UK and as an NHS patient it will only cost me £42.50 for two extractions, all in. I had two teeth extracted on Nov 2nd.

I have to admit that although it is not a nice experience it does help to calm yourself and think of the end results as florencegal said. I must also say that immediately prior to the extractions it did momentarilly cross my mind to get up out of the chair and run away but I stopped myself. I didn't have any laughing gas, excuse the pun but I guess I just braced myself.

For me the extractions weren't really so bad, but you must make sure to look after yourself afterwards so that you don't get a dry socket. Just be kind to yourself and it may sound obvious but be prepared to chew in a different way and tenatively around the extraction sites.

If you're really freaking out at the thought of being awake then it might be worth IV sedation or using the gas but in my view the recovery, which is more of an inconvenience really, is worse than the actual extractions.

Good luck with everything.
Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

bip

#5 Post by bip »

Hey Cowlypso - I can give some cost insight on an eastern US standard. In my case it was only one extraction and the tooth was a bottom tooth, fourth one from the back (sorry i do not know the correct terms for the tooth positions and i really need to learn them since i'll be in these things for a long time). The total bill was around $180. That included the gas. In my case it was $60 extra and i went ahead and did it because i was so worked up about the whole thing. I really have no idea why - i have had all of my wisdom teeth pulled outright with only numbing, plus another permanent tooth on the top the same way (long story - shouldn't have been pulled and is one of the things contributing to my current problems).

Anyway, the main thing i can say is that the gas is definately worth the extra money and to reeeelllllaaaxxxx. It was honestly such a non-issue (the whole extraction thing) that I was a bit embarrassed after it was done because i had gotten myself so worked up.

The gas made me simply not care. It was all fine and jim dandy! I even got a case of the giggles and thought I was so profound when i then thought - well, they call it LAUGHING gas don't they? Then i started giggling worse... :P

I went on and on about this gas so much that my husband was like - jeez, honey, do you want me to buy a bottle of it for you to keep at home? The one thing with the gas is that all sorts of things go through your head. It makes you feel quite uninhibited and I was actually glad when they stuck the thing in my mouth that makes you not be able to close your jaw because i thought - well, now I can't speak and make an arse out of myself! but then I started thinking about all this other stuff - mostly how i felt like I was in some weird horror torture movie with my mouth pried open and a mask on my face and this guy standing over me with these sharp metal objects. But the funny thing was, even that was HILARIOUS!

So, that's my ten cents. Get the gas and relax! And take care of yourself afterwards. Extraction was the part I was most worried about and it beat spacers by a mile for being a non-issue! :wink:

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

Thanks for the replies and kind words. I ended up calling my dds and got a recommendation for an oral surgeon in my area (instead of near my parent's house). They couldn't give me an exact price because they haven't seen my teeth or x-rays. But she said it could run from the low-100s to low-200s. Plus, they provide complimentary gas!

So I made an appointment with them and cancelled the other one. They did offer the IV sedation, too, but seeing as the appointment she made for all 4 extractions was only for 1/2 an hour, I think that might be a little excessive. But the gas is definitely good.

I've had the gas before for fillings (my first 2 times getting them, now I've had fillings and root canals with just the novocaine), so I know that me and it get along pretty good. I don't actually get giggly, I just sort of get spacey and feel like I'm peering out from the back of a cave. Once, I actually got a little panicky. Started having really weird thoughts and felt like I was losing control and got a little freaked out. But the good thing about the gas for dental work is that the mask only covers your nose, so if you feel like you're getting too much, you can just take a few breaths through your mouth to clear your head. Totally patient-controlled!

So I get my consultation on 12/14 to find out what teeth are getting pulled, then I go get them pulled on 12/18. My mom is even going to drive up here and go in with me to try to keep me sane. So even though I'll still probably freak out about it, I guess I'm feeling like I can do it now.

kay

#7 Post by kay »

Hi, i am due to get 2 surgical extractions in a couple of weeks and they will cost me £195! I was offered it free on the NHS in the UK but their waiting list is usually months, and i want them out quick sharp! So i'm having to pay for them.

Danielle

#8 Post by Danielle »

I'm in California and I paid $275 per tooth extraction (premolars).

rsprouse

Re: Cost of extractions and other extraction questions

#9 Post by rsprouse »

So I'm wondering...
1. What is the typical cost of premolar extractions per tooth (is $225 too much to pay)?
2. Was anybody else this freaked out by the whole thing, did you do any sort of sedation, and how on earth did you make it through without being tied down??? :yikes:

1. "Usual and customary" varies greatly between communities. $225 is not incredibly high, especially for an Oral Surgeon. You will see prices from below $100 to as much as $300+ for a non-surgical extraction depending on the area.

2. It's all in your head. But if you are too worked up then talk to your dentist/os about a sedative (Valium or similar). They usually prefer it because it makes their life easier :o

Good Luck,
Rory

payoki

#10 Post by payoki »

I don't have insurance so I paid cash I paid $500 for 4 premolar extractions.
mother of one.

Joual

#11 Post by Joual »

My premolar extractions will be about $21 per tooth with my dental insurance.

I've read many posts on here saying that premolar extractions are quicker, easier, and less painful than wisdom tooth extractions. :D