Getting Braces on Monday - A Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RGW

Getting Braces on Monday - A Question

#1 Post by RGW »

Yesterday, I went to the orthodontists and got the final molds before I get braces on Monday. I was expecting the orthodontist or someone to talk to me about what's going to happen, and to show me different types of braces I could choose from. It didn't happen. They took the molds and they said "see you Monday".
I wanted the clear ceramic braces. The doctor briefly mentioned them among a few other types last month, and that was it. Should I have mentioned this again? Do they have to do anything special beforehand for ceramic braces? Should I expect ceramic braces to be an option when I go on Monday? I'm kind of afraid that they'll just try to put on normal braces when I go.

newmetal

#2 Post by newmetal »

Mate, i think you should ring the ortho office and ask to talk to your ortho about your expected treatment. Your treatment has two people involved, you and your ortho, decisions should be made by both of you, mostly you. You need to sort this out as you dont know what you will be getting on monday and what desired outcome the ortho has...Ring them is what i say. Its unprofesional for your ortho to have left you without explaining anything. Good luck mate

Newmetal

Danielle

#3 Post by Danielle »

I would call them to make sure you're on the same page. I wasn't given a choice when I went in for all of my consults but I had consulted another orthodontist (before I settled on my current one) and he talked to me about the different options... I decided the traditonal metal would be best for me (they work quicker and I'm a difficult case) so I didn't ask and just assumed they'd be metal (which they were).

pippy

#4 Post by pippy »

I wanted ceramics top and bottom so called my ortho a few days before just to confirm. When I arrived for my appointment all the brackets were already lined up ready to go on..all organised based on which ones were getting elastics later etc........so clearly they planned ahead. I would definitely be inclined to call the ortho and confirm as mine at least had the stuff ready to go.....and you don't want any surprises!!

bip

#5 Post by bip »

Absolutely agree with these guys - give them a call. Like others, i was asked in a prior appointment from my actual b-day as to metal v ceramic, etc. so the plan was already laid out. My main factor in the choice was cost because at the time i was not sure how much my insurance would pay and the cerams were more so I chose traditional metal. the only decision i made on b-day was what color ligs I wanted. So, definately call them because you'll have enough on your mind Monday and will want to have all those details set and be ready to go!

RGW

#6 Post by RGW »

Thanks for the responses. I tried to call today, but the office is closed on Fridays. I'll have to call on Monday morning.

I have two other questions...
Does it really take two hours to put them on?
Will I be able to drive myself home?

ghostmyimag3

#7 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Like its been said i would call. I originally went in to see if i was a candidate for invisalign. However you see i'm not :lol: He told me off the bat i would have to wear metal braces in order to correct my teeth.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

After having these sore spots in my mouth I wish I went invisalign route but then again I rather keep the route I went since it was by far the cheapest route for me to take.

SDFD TSchott
CODE 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ghostmyimag3

#9 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I think i'd rather wear my metal that to have to take that aligner out and then put it back in.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006