has anyone got the speed brace? anyone heard of it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

suetran

has anyone got the speed brace? anyone heard of it?

#1 Post by suetran »

Hi I went to my ortho yesterday. He showed me the brochure for all the braces. Now my question is? Has anyone tried the speed braces?
it's smaller then the modern one.
But could you tell me any differnence in the length of time? anything would help . thanks!

I'm thinking of getting the clear or the speed braces. tell me what you think... TIA

sjsarre

#2 Post by sjsarre »

I have heard a few comments about speed braces on this forum but can't find them as of yet, i'll do a search and post back (if someone doesn't beat me to it - LOL)

:D

Higgy

#3 Post by Higgy »

Before I got my braces, I consulted with three traditional orthodontists and with "fastbraces", that mery mentioned....with "fastbraces", they ONLY concern with straightening teeth....not with the bite, jaw relationship...which is in my opinion MORE important...would rather have crooked teeth and a comfortable bite than to have great looking teeth that don't function...anyway....I have speed brackets....and they are the self-litigating ones...not Damons though....and my treatment time estimate is 24-30 months even with them...but have seen tremendous progress in my 9 weeks so far.

Higgy

#4 Post by Higgy »

I knew prior to braces that I had a whacky jaw....but didn't know the extent of it until my consult when the ortho held my jaw where it SHOULD be and asked me to bite down and teeth hit teeth all over! As teeth have moved so far, different teeth tend to hit each other...but in the end its gonna be worth it! Looking forward to elastics as it will give these cleat things something to do, haha. 5 days till my adjustment!:)

grinning

#5 Post by grinning »

Hello! I am in speed braces, you can read about them on their site speedsystem.com and get info there if you like. I wouldn't pick them for the 'speed' in their name though, like others here I also have a regular type sentence of 18-24 months. There are some positives to them though, like not wearing molar bands! Besides that, I believe they work like most other systems in that they straighten and align teeth/bite. No elastic ligatures so the office visits are quite short as they just have to pop them open and closed easily while changing the wire. I had one bracket spontaniously pop open once, but you just put the wire back in and snap the spring back closed. Also, they are smaller than traditional braces, but it definitely still feels like a mouthful of metal! Still very noticeable on the teeth. That all being said, I like them (can anyone truely like braces??? :wink: ), but I do sometimes wish I could have had funky colors!

skip27

#6 Post by skip27 »

I'm currently using Fastbraces (www.fastbraces.com). I had them put on Oct. 24th and will have to wear them for 6 months. Though I didn't get a choice between ceramic and metal braces, I figure the short time I'll spend in braces makes it a moot point. Heck, I've already started to notice my teeth shift and it feels great!

suetran

#7 Post by suetran »

thankyou for all the replies

Grinning- did your doctor give you a quote on prices? is it more expensive then the ceramics? or is it just the same as the traditional metal braces.?
sorry my ortho seems so... iunno how to put it but he told me all his braces are the same price except the traditional metal braces those are cheaper.

srg1977

#8 Post by srg1977 »

I've got speedbraces too. Was pretty excited when I saw the name in the binder full of info that I got at the consult. But then asked how much faster they were than regular ones. The answer - " not at all. It's a brand name." Marketing at it's finest!!!!

grinning

#9 Post by grinning »

kk- Thanks for mentioning that many orthos don't use molar bands, traditional braces or not! I was making as assumption :oops: (ah, when will I learn)...

Suetran- Sorry I can't help you on prices. I'm being treated as part of the University ortho program. You can choose whatever system you like there for the same price as the students need to learn how to use everything. It only made a difference for me on which days I needed to come in so the instructors are trained in the system of my choosing. He did tell me that the traditional brackets are the least expensive to them so some orthos will charge more for other systems. How much more or which ones would be more $$ than others though I don't know. I think it's all up to each individual office to set prices. Guess I'm saying to shop around!!