Geez. Tomorrow's my big day! Quest about salt water rinses.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Roobi9

Geez. Tomorrow's my big day! Quest about salt water rinses.

#1 Post by Roobi9 »

Ok, I'm 45 years old and getting braced tomorrow. A little nervous but this site has helped alot! Question is: This is the first I've heard about salt water rinses. Is it just regular table salt and water? How much of each and how many times per day? Is it to late to start? Thanks tons!

ellebee

#2 Post by ellebee »

I'm using regular table salt and water. I didn't start until the day I got braced (4 days ago) and I think it has helped. It feels good anyway. Good luck tomorrow!

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

it's never too late to start! :D

just a pinch in a little warm water is fine. If it tastes noticeably salty then it's probably too strong - not that it will do you any harm but strong salt water tastes awful.

If your mouth is sore post-braces then you can do it 5 times a day or as often as you like. It does feel soothing and helps the skin in your mouth heal.

Good luck for tomorrow

Lisa

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Good luck tomorrow Roobi9

I'm nearly 42 and got braced on Friday. I was a bit dubious about how the salt water rinses would help but have found them a really great help, I started using them after two extractions a little over a week ago and they are really soothing.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

ghostmyimag3

#5 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Im not really consistant with my rinses, only because i'm popping wax off, then taking that proxa brush and getting wax out of my brackets, then brushing, then waterpik'ing because i can't floss some of my teeth and by the time i do all that i forget.
The times i have done them though i did them at night and woke up with unsore, unscraped lips so i know they work.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Roobi9

Thanks everyone!

#6 Post by Roobi9 »

Feeling better already - guess I'd better buy more table salt! Getting "allure" on top and bottoms. I'll keep watching this post!

ghostmyimag3

#7 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

definitely go to the bathroom, i went 3 times in the 3 hours i was in the chair!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

My suggestion for the salt water runse is get a 16 oz bottle of water and mix it up as a salt water rinse. Then shake it up before pouring some into a small cup. 15 seconds or so in a microwave and you're ready to go.

Good Luck tomorrow. Take pictures. These are a great way to compare you progress.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

onny

#9 Post by onny »

Good luck. The day before I was most excited and nervous too, but then its faster over and less a problem than u ever may have imagined. Keep us updated then!
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

Delag

#10 Post by Delag »

I do something similar to Mike- I keep a small bottle of salt water in my car (it is always hot here so no need to warm it up :D ) and have a bunch of little dixie cups as well. I just rinse and throw away the cup (I know, not very *green* of me, but it is the only way I seem to remember :oops: )