Has fixing ur bite changed ur face for the better or worse?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kay

Has fixing ur bite changed ur face for the better or worse?

#1 Post by kay »

Hi everybody!

I was just wondering whether people's faces have changed drastically from fixing their bite? I have a slight overbite and i am scared that when my ortho puts the elastics in to sort it out i will have a receding chin! Just wondering how everyone elses faces have changed from trying to improve their bites?

ellebee

#2 Post by ellebee »

I think correcting an overbite would make your chin more prominent, not more receding.

I can't really say, since I am new to this process. I'm having my slight overbite corrected, my top arch centered and my bottom arch rounded out. I'm not expecting it to affect my face other than for the better.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

I don't think my face has changed, but last night I had dinner with a friend who hadn't seen me since getting braced. She commented that my face looks thinner; she asked if I had lost weight. No one else has said anything to me, but it is possible!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

onny

#4 Post by onny »

I have a slightly idea how I would look when I'm done with the full treatment and I assume that it looks much better, due to the broader smile and much more natural alignment of teeth.

Btw since the Bday i look already better, because the brackets elevated my lips a bit, making them look more full ;) I love that effect. (I have a quite thin face, so it makes a difference)
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

EKline309

#5 Post by EKline309 »

Can't say from experience, but I would think that braces could only make your face look better. I've seen before and after pics where peoples profiles are drastically better, especially when correcting an overbite. You'll probably have a broader smile, increased symmetry, and not to mention the fact that after it's all over you'll probably smile a lot more too!

onny

#6 Post by onny »

I already smile alot more, just because I have got braces :D
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

cowlypso

#7 Post by cowlypso »

I sure hope my look changes! I'm getting an overbite fixed too. My final reason to get braces (the one that's making me actually do it, not just think about it) was seeing myself in some photos, especially some not taken straight-on. I realized how far my top teeth stick out. I didn't find it particularly attractive, and even with my mouth closed, my lips are sort of strained to close over them. So I'm hoping that my profile changes to one that's a little more photogenic.

I'm going to ask my ortho at my consult, though, so that I know what's going to happen. Also, so I know what isn't going to happen, if it won't be able to be fixed like I want.

lilleth

#8 Post by lilleth »

I'm older (48) and I think my face looks thinner. not necessarily a good thing for older ladies either. cheekbones less prominent, but I think that's also a result of extractions when I had braces as a teen.

Ellebee, that is my favorite Warren Zevon song and quote. I hate that he died too young. I saw him once, many years ago, acoustic set, no band, just him.

nico07

#9 Post by nico07 »

My side-profile changed, my cheek bones look higher, but the way I smile was not at all affected (other than my teeth!).

turrrtlelove22

#10 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I saw this video of a case study or something like it, done on twins. They did extractions on one, but not the other. The one with the extraction treatment grew up with a less filled out face that was flatter and so was his profile. The other one had a fuller face a jaw. It was one of the only ways to tell them apart...lol. My teeth are flared top and bottom. I think it makes my lips more prominent and my chin less prominent. I hope whn its all done it wil be the opposite. Good question, kay. This is another question for my list. THANKS!!!! :D :D :D
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

I can't see the changes in my face, living with it as I do on a day to day basis. A friend has noticed a difference, but she didn't go into detail. If anything, my face is probably filling out - which is quite OK by me.

Emetic

#12 Post by Emetic »

turrrtlelove22,

I found a chat transcript about the Creed twins. I think that's who you're talking about.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixt ... ry_918.asp

I wish the site had pictures. Was it a very drastic difference or only noticable because they were pointing it out?

nico07

#13 Post by nico07 »

I had the option of extraction (the ortho said it wasn't necessary) though I didn't go that route- guess I'm glad now.

M1k3y

#14 Post by M1k3y »

I think that people with extreme over and underbite along with those that undergo jaw surgery have the most changes when it comes to their overall appearance.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

onny

#15 Post by onny »

The text is great and mirrors exactly whats wrong with some orthos today, just pulling out several teeth unnecessary, because they are to lazy and want to safe some time and money in a maybe longer needed, but more careful and healthy treatment. I already realized some people changed their shape negatively with a rough treatment like this, loosing full lips and width in the smile. Later when i read professional articles about this issue, I just got confirmed of my observations as a layman in my young years and I'm extremely sad for anyone who blindly trusts his ortho, getting 4 healthy teeth pulled with maybe no need for it and I'm happy i didn't had such a rough ortho when I was a child, my parents surly would have trusted the treatment blindly. Childs surly are the main target for that procedure, because they usually cant say anything.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.