This is getting REALLY annoying!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

H Rogers

#31 Post by H Rogers »

I'm sorry for those of you who have had to wear braces for so long. I've only had mine for 3 months on the top and will be getting the bottom ones next week. :evil: My estimated treatment time is 24-30 months. (SIGH) :cry: I hate mine already and will hate them more after next week. I can't eat what I want and cleaning them is such a pain. Always worrying about staining or finding food in your teeth is just sick. :twisted: My husband is always telling me to be positive but its hard to be positive when they are such a thorn. I have to wear headgear also and that really sucks. :-= Thanks for opening up a complaint thread... its a great welcome. It also seems to make you feel better to complain with others who understand what you are going through. I am thankful to be able to have them because like someone pointed out not everyone can afford them but still.... ick.

blaat

#32 Post by blaat »

I can totally relate to what you are saying, ive been wearing full braces for almost a year now and i'm currently in university doing almost 2/3 presentations a week. It's so hard to ignore the braces while talking to a big crowd, it makes me so self conscious about my pronounciation. *sigh* anyway the end is near (i hope) got a couple of months to debanding. anyway good luck to you all!
Uppers: Permanent retainer + hawley (night)
Lowers: Permanent retainer

Debanded since the 16th of Jan.

Grapefruit

#33 Post by Grapefruit »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:

MAY!! THEY SAID MAY!!! This is soo wrong....

how about you eve....i think im going to cry....I really hope this a cruel joke...
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

Evelyn

#34 Post by Evelyn »

MAY!?!?!? Aww I'm sorry! Hang in there...at least you got a date. When I asked my ortho he goes 'nuh-uh, not saying a word'. I think he just doesn't want to be heald to a specific time and then have me disappointed if he goes over. Not, of course, that he already hasn't :roll:

I got rubber bands today...they hurt. A lot. And they're also really annoying, they really change how I look and it's a turn for the worse and not the better. I just look like I've got a crapload of junk in my mouth...when will it end? He said he has no idea how long I'll wear the rubber bands for, but after that we have to line up the front teeth correctly (aesthetics) and then they should be off. I'm guessing Feb/March at this point.

This is never-ending, I swear. Hang in there, maybe he's just giving you a worst case scenario?

Hugs, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

hannah164

#35 Post by hannah164 »

I'm so sorry about that Grapefruit! That really sucks! I really hope that somehow it ends up not being that long! Were they able to tell you why its going to take that long?

Good luck and hope things work out!

-Hannah

alexa

#36 Post by alexa »

Sorry Grapefruit. :(

I think I'm going to join this club. After eight months, I am sick of these things.

Today I went to the ortho and she implied that I wasn't wearing my rubberbands....I AM wearing them! All the bleeping time! I felt like saying: "Gee, no, I haven't been wearing them. I'm a recent college graduate who is in debt and paying this practice $4,000 on top of it just so I can not listen to you and end up wearing these things for the rest of my natural life."

:evil:

Then I tried to ask how my progress was going....and she WALKED AWAY! The asst. said she didn't hear me, but whatever. I don't care. I'm sick of this. :evil:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Grapefruit

#37 Post by Grapefruit »

awww thanx guys!

Ok, the story with the date is that they are going on the date my ortho said during my consulation (BEFORE them) and now whenver I ask they're like well, "see here, this date in red, thats the date! but don't worry you're right on track!"........ :evil:

My mom was there and she asked as well, and wen she heard May she was SHOCKED! :shock: lol she was like, "What, MAY! Are you guys sure!?" hahaha

But yea, I am really disappointed, I just got detailing on my teeth(bend the wires so teeth go in the perfect position) and powerchains, I think I will post a pic soon, but yea, Dr. Randall said detailing is done down to the last appts....so I really hope they are just saying May because they can't say the exact date!!!

ARRRGGGHH! I am just SO angry, I've had to wear these to graduation, homecoming game, graduation parties, my vacation in Canada, my first year of college, and now probably to my vacation to London! oh man, I already look 15, y do I need braces to add to em!!
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

naomi

#38 Post by naomi »

I'm really sick of having braces too. I've had mine for 16 months now and my estimated treatment time is 30 months. My teeth improved a lot and because they are now straight (before they were pretty crooked) a lot of people keep asking if I'll get them off soon. However, I still have a gap from an extraction (it's near the back so it's hidden) that has to be closed to fix my overbite and midline before I'm done treatment. I don't think most people that haven't had braces even know what an overbite is! I REALLY got tired of the braces when I had to start wearing elastics. I try to wear my elastics all the time but I have to confess to taking them out if I know I'll be talking to anyone for a long period of time. I'm tired of picking food out of my teeth too. I can't wait for the day when I can eat something in public and not have to give my tongue a workout while using it to keep my braces free of chunks of food!!!
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

SHELL

#39 Post by SHELL »

I posted on this topic at 3 months in... about 1 year ago and now i'm 15 months in and STILL FEEL THE SAME WAY. I really do try and be positive about having braces but there is not a day that goes by that I do not HATE these things :lol: I did finally get to the elastic stage, but i'm not sure that's a good thing. I know.... I'm the only one on this board that does not love braces :x . I'm so tired of wires poking..... elastics rubbing and picking food out of my braces that i could scream and sometimes do LOL. Sorry people, just needed to rant.

onny

#40 Post by onny »

Wow a real different topic to most others. And strange stuff to read here.

Some here explain they hated there braces from day 1, I really cant understand that, its just 5 days since i got braced and I don't realize them anymore, and forget more and more about them each day. Do you want to tell me in 2 years it will reverse and I will realize them more and more again? Very hard to believe. I think its a pure attitude thing. Of course noone would wear braces if they wouldn't need them, but we do need them, so we do the best of it.
I also know I will just post the first days so frequent in this forum, soon I know everything I need to know and the first "wow i got braced" euphoria wears off, but I still will like them and not whine around, I just wont think about them anymore much. My cleaning effort of them didn't change much prior to non braced anyway, because I did extensive cleaning anyway.

I just read the first page of this thread, because it was the same repeating then always anyway. I first got scared when reading the first posts, but I don't believe I will follow the same path and react that way in 3 years. At least the enjoyment of debanding increases more and more with time.

I was also never in that state as you "Oh my teeth moved look at it" etc. I just have braces, and it feels as I have had them already my whole live. In 3 years when they come off, a week later it will feel like I never had braces. Seriously I wouldn't mind if my treatment would take 1 or 5 years. It absolutely makes no difference for me.

If you hate braces that much as I read in this thread, why don't you get them removed asap. It seems to be a pure torment to you, not being worth the immense bad feeling all day.

I didn't target this post to anyone particular, just the general ppl who hate their braces and feel like on day 1 after a year. *edit* oops this is a quite old thread, anyway I just let my reply stay here.
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

newmetal

#41 Post by newmetal »

onny wrote:Wow a real different topic to most others. And strange stuff to read here.

Some here explain they hated there braces from day 1, I really cant understand that, its just 5 days since i got braced and I don't realize them anymore, and forget more and more about them each day. Do you want to tell me in 2 years it will reverse and I will realize them more and more again? Very hard to believe. I think its a pure attitude thing. Of course noone would wear braces if they wouldn't need them, but we do need them, so we do the best of it.
I also know I will just post the first days so frequent in this forum, soon I know everything I need to know and the first "wow i got braced" euphoria wears off, but I still will like them and not whine around, I just wont think about them anymore much. My cleaning effort of them didn't change much prior to non braced anyway, because I did extensive cleaning anyway.

I just read the first page of this thread, because it was the same repeating then always anyway. I first got scared when reading the first posts, but I don't believe I will follow the same path and react that way in 3 years. At least the enjoyment of debanding increases more and more with time.

I was also never in that state as you "Oh my teeth moved look at it" etc. I just have braces, and it feels as I have had them already my whole live. In 3 years when they come off, a week later it will feel like I never had braces. Seriously I wouldn't mind if my treatment would take 1 or 5 years. It absolutely makes no difference for me.

If you hate braces that much as I read in this thread, why don't you get them removed asap. It seems to be a pure torment to you, not being worth the immense bad feeling all day.

I didn't target this post to anyone particular, just the general ppl who hate their braces and feel like on day 1 after a year. *edit* oops this is a quite old thread, anyway I just let my reply stay here.
I do understand what you are saying but it is different for different people. I sometimes enjoy having braces and sometimes want them off. People who moan usually moan because they hate braces but they know deep down they want a nice smile, and it outways the bad feelings towards braces...this is not to say they cant still dislike braces and moan about them. I have moaned a bit on other threads saying that i didnt want them and stuff, but today im feeling fine and not noticing them. Perhaps, for you, you will never notice them and are lucky that your mouth etc has adjusted fully, for others due to external circumstances (enviroment etc) or pain thresholds etc, this is not the case. It helps certain people to share their opinions and thoughts with others who may also be feeling the same.

I hope you understand what im saying mate.

Newmetal

ghostmyimag3

#42 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I've only had mine 5 days, but I can't say i hate them. Sometimes i feel like i have something in my mouth i have to remove before i eat then i get over it. 30 months may be long and luckily i dont have to wear mine that long, but i've had screwed teeth pretty much my whole life starting at age 7. I'm about to turn 30 now. 2 or 3 years isn't nothing compared to what i've grown to live with. 15 months is how long i'll have them on, even if it goes to the 18 he said that was possible it wouldn't really matter cause i said the first day i decided to do it, whatever it takes to achieve what i want i'm ready for it. Cleaning my braces takes me 30 minutes. But its 30 minutes well spent because i dont want my teeth dirty in areas that i could have taken care of. Maybe i'm a different mind set i dont know. I'm enjoying every thing about them cause its an experience that will change my appearance and the way i feel about my teeth.
Last edited by ghostmyimag3 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

onny

#43 Post by onny »

Yes I well understand what you say, thx for you reply.

I just want to add another thing: For me braces are not absolute necessary. They increase the aesthetic and my bite, which both could stay that way for the rest of my live, like on my mother, who has the same jaws like me and exactly same crowding and rotation of same teeth.
But I just want it perfect for me, not even for others, they dont see much of a difference anway after the treatment, the most difference I will feel after sleep or eat and while eat, which I will be very happy about =) And I hope, but are not sure, that i will have a broader and more beauty smile.

I will just never notice them, because i accepted them psychically already before I got them. People who whine from the first to the last day, just hate them and don't accept them, and so make their own live harder and others too, because they are in bad mood because of their braces. Of course they may really hurt and cause great pain or be just extremely uncomfortable, for example with a heavy elastics configuration, but its not forever, mostly elastics are not even the full treatment time, and most don't even are treated longer than 2 years. I have a 3 year full program and the only thing that really really bugged me is the headgear, but that one I just denied and I will get a intra oral alternate... so easy it is..

pain threshold physically and psychically is a main reason for that topic too. I'm sure my threshold is far beyond many others ppl. And it is a bit hard for me to understand how it can be so extremely low for others.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#44 Post by onny »

ghostmyimag3 wrote:I've only had mine 5 days, but I can't say i hate them. Sometimes i feel like i have something in my mouth i have to remove before i eat then i get over it.
haha lol, that is exactly the same feeling I always have when I get me some foods :D
Im sure it vanishs soon, but its funny we experience the same =)
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.

ghostmyimag3

#45 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yes it is. lol I was telling my husband that i felt like i had dentures.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006