Searching orthodontist credentials and MS?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Emetic

Searching orthodontist credentials and MS?

#1 Post by Emetic »

Does anyone know of any sites where I can search an orthodontist's credentials? I've noticed a few orthodontists in my yellow book with a DMD, a DDS, or a DDS combined with a MS. How important is a MS?

Should they be ABO-certified? http://www.americanboardortho.com/
Which board(s) should they be certified from?

Help a dumb person out. :(

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

The DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) are the same degrees. Most dental schools award the DDS degree; however, some award a DMD degree. The education and degrees are the same.
Got that backwards. DMD is the "more modern" degree program and DDS is "Old school". But in reality it simply tells you where the doc went to school since some places are stuck on DDS and some are on DMD.

Rickysa

#3 Post by Rickysa »

emetic,

I'm not so sure about any difference between DMD vs. DDS...the old school/new school thing is new to me.

MS (Master of Science) denotes a research component of the program, where the resident has to complete a research project worthy of a "Masters" degree. Whether the graduate program is 2 years, 3 years, Master degree or not, learning how to do "braces" is covered in all.

As an aside.....PA after the name just means the practice is "incorporated" for tax/liability etc reasons :wink:

Dr. S