Ouch, ouch! Sore mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tamms

Ouch, ouch! Sore mouth

#1 Post by Tamms »

Ok, I went in today and they banded 5 teeth! Now, the brackets are hurting my cheek. They didn't give me any wax and I forgot to ask for it and my poor cheek is all chewed up! :soremouth:

But, oh well... Point is... I'm on my way! They did the impression for the nance and bite plate today. I get that put in on Dec 11. Won't be braced until after Christmas it looks but that's ok.

So, I'm rinsing with salty water and I used a numbing gell I found in the grocery store. Now I'm going to bed. Hopefully sleeping will help it to heal up a bit. Eating is definitely a problem. Hopefully though it will toughen up soon. :HugeGrin:

Tammy :)

nico07

#2 Post by nico07 »

It's not horrible, it will make your cheeks really tough which can be useful. I almost never used wax, unless I had a stray wire poking into my cheek, and it made things a lot more tolerable.

ghostmyimag3

#3 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I have not used any wax on my molar bands yet thankfully.Well only on my lingual buttons on the tongue side.
I do however bite my cheek everynow and again when i eat. You can buy some wax from a store. I bought extra cause they only gave me 4 sticks of wax. I keep some at work, in my car, purse etc cause certain foods i eat stain the wax.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Tamms

#4 Post by Tamms »

Thanks Karen!
I'll check out the pharmacy. I was surprised that my large grocery store didn't sell any ortho wax but hopefully the pharmacy will have some. I'm not sure if my ortho is open today. They are staffed to work on Mondays and Tuesdays but if I can't find any wax I will be calling them for sure. I might call anyway and see if my daughter can pick up some wax for me. :)

Thanks again!

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

Tammy,
Congrats on starting your journey! One day down-- :)

most of the drug stores should have wax- definitely go get some and use as much as needed to make your cheeks comfortable! Some people aren't as bothered ( son Matthew didnt need any wax- son Steven only used a little bit, but I still use wax here and there for spots that rub) There is no point in being uncomfortable. Let me know if you cant find wax, I will overnight you some.
It wont take too long for your cheeks to get used to the molar bands and you wont even notice them anymore.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Tamms

#6 Post by Tamms »

Good News,
I went to the pharmacy and found wax! I promptly stuck some on and it I now it will be feeling better really soon. I am finding it difficult to swallow though due to my tongue hitting on those inner tabs on the bands. Oh well. Figure I will get used to that soon too. :) Thanks for the suggestions of going to the pharmacy! And thanks for the offer Kim. I bought 2 packages so I would be sure not to run out! LOL.

KJM

#7 Post by KJM »

Glad that you found some and stocked up! :) Also- make sure to ask at the orthos next time ( even if you aren't using any at that time) there is no point in buying wax when you can get it from your ortho.

If those inner cleats are bothering you, you can put wax on those as well. It is a bit tricky but can be done ( just make sure the molar band is dry when applying) They can really shred your tongue until you get used to them.

And remember to stay hydrated! :D
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Tamms

#8 Post by Tamms »

Oh! thanks Kim! I didn't think the wax would stick inside so I didn't even try that. Will give it a little try.

I keep telling myself how nice it will be once my teeth are all fixed! DH finally found the camera batteries so I will be taking pics of them now.

I think the ortho forgot about giving me stuff cause they mentioned at the last visit that I'd be getting a "goodie bag" of stuff but I didn't. It took 2 hours to band these 5 teeth and take impressions for the nance. I think that is why they kinda got flustered and forgot. I will definitely ask next time. Oh, and you had asked me before about the braces... they are regular silver braces I'm getting.

nico07

#9 Post by nico07 »

KK wrote:Great that it worked for you Nico, but the theory has huge problems with it!
Seriously! My ortho seemed to encourage it :? Oh dear.

ghostmyimag3

#10 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yes just roll you a little ball of wax, grab a mirror and stick it on those molars! My tongue was so eat up i couldnt talk, but i keep wax on my right side button's on my molars and i have no trouble at all.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006