Powerchains and Damon braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Emerald

Powerchains and Damon braces

#1 Post by Emerald »

I have damon type 2 braces and have a powerchain

I didn't realise what it was called until I saw photos of other people's teeth on this forum.

I didn't even know you can get colour choices, my orthodontist put a clear one on which turns yellow as I am indian and eat lots of curries! :oops:

Can damon braces also have ligaments?

broochie

#2 Post by broochie »

You probably mean ligatures. No, Damons are what is called self-ligating brackets, i.e. they don't need the little o'rings rubberbands around each bracket to hold the archwire. Instead, every bracket has a little "door" that the ortho opens to remove the old archwire and then closes after he had placed the new one.

cleozar2007

#3 Post by cleozar2007 »

I have damon 3s and my ortho still puts ligs on. One of the assistants said it was mostly for comfort. They also said that I don't have to have them if I don't want them. I get them though so I can pick colors!!
I'd ask your ortho about the ligs and different colors for the powerchain.

Emerald

#4 Post by Emerald »

Yup I mean ligatures :oops:

I'm definately going to ask about coloured powerchains at my next app on the 13th

Not sure about getting ligs though as I don't mind not having them

I know it's unusual for someone with damon braces to have a powerchain but I definately have one on my uppers

I think its to secure my temp false tooth and also to help close gaps I have from when my upper pre-molars were extracted prior to having my braces put on

Can't wait till till I can have this yucky stained yellow powerchain removed!

Emerald

#5 Post by Emerald »

I wish I could get coloured powerchains

I asked my orthodontist at my appointment and he asked the nurse who found some a tube of red but it was so old it became distorted when pulled so couldn't be used at all.

So i'm stuck with clear ones :(
Emerald
I had self-ligating braces for 4 years & 8 months.

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

I had Jaw surgery on 14th July 2008

Please see blog for more details:

http://emeraldsdentaldiary.blogspot.com

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
I'm not sure that it's all that unusual for folks with Damons to have powerchains.

I've had powerchains at least twice with my Damons (I have one now) and I'm pretty sure that other folks have them as well. I was ending up with a gap between two molars because my elastic was pulling one of the molars into a space where I'm missing a tooth. I got a powerchain "from 7 to 7" - across all of my bottom teeth and everything tightened up very nicely.

Emerald

#7 Post by Emerald »

I'm not sure if my ortho will get in any colours as i'm getting my treatment free on the NHS (National Health Service) :?

I may consider asking him if he will on my next app though.

He seemed to imply they are not popular and thats why he didn't stock them, but I think that since he never gives anyone the option for colours most of the other patients don't know you can get colours.

I didn't know until I started using this site! :)

Karen, its great you can get your own colours.
I wonder if my normal dentist stocks them or my cousins who are dentists, hmm.. :?:

I only said I know its unusual for damons to have powerchains bcoz of what broochie said (see below)
You probably mean ligatures. No, Damons are what is called self-ligating brackets, i.e. they don't need the little o'rings rubberbands around each bracket to hold the archwire. Instead, every bracket has a little "door" that the ortho opens to remove the old archwire and then closes after he had placed the new one.
Emerald

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

Betty Bat

#8 Post by Betty Bat »

Broochie's post didn't say anything about powerchains. It was about ligatures. Ligatures are not the same as powerchains. Ligatures (or ligs) are used with some types of brackets; some types of brackets like Damons are self-ligating so they don't need the separature ligatures to hold in the archwires. Powerchains are used to change the relative position of teeth.

So, Broochie gave you a good answer - about ligs.

Emerald

#9 Post by Emerald »

On my next app (Wed 17th) i'll ask about coloured powerchains again and whether I can buy them from anywhere

It'll be great if I can! 8)
Emerald

BracedBelle

#10 Post by BracedBelle »

learn something new every day... I didn't know powerchains could be used with Damons!