;

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Orthoready21

;

#1 Post by Orthoready21 »

;
Last edited by Orthoready21 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I was given a manual toothbrush and am quite happy with that. A friend uses an electric toothbrush.

Personal preference, I guess.

OctoberMM

#3 Post by OctoberMM »

Christ, I'm on day three and I can't imagine touching my teeth with anything electric.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Like Meryaten said it depends on what gets the job done. I personally don't brush long enough - bad habit I know. So for me the electric is better because I get more revolutions with it than I would moving my brush around manually. Plus, it is easier on my gums with the electric one. But that said I do use a manual when away from home, and occasionaly at home in the middle of the day.
(I just have a battery operated Chrest Spinbrush).
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Danielle

#5 Post by Danielle »

I love the Rotadent Toothbrush... I can't imagine life in braces without it. When I use a regular tootbrush (even a really small and soft brush) it doesn't clean as well (in my head) because it can't fit everywhere and if you ask me it hurts to use a manual brush when you're teeth/gums are sore. The Rotadent is well worth every penny. Last night I tried that new Listerine stuff (not sure of the exact name) that turns your mouth blue--after dinner I was all kinds of blue... I put barely any effort into brushing to see how good the Rotadent is... seconds later no blue at all.

Alright, enough of my pro-Rotadent rant... use what works best for you!
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

jennandtonic

#6 Post by jennandtonic »

I really like manual, I used electric before I had braces and didn't feel that 'clean teeth' feeling after I brushed with it. However, like someone said up there, it's personal preference.

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Away from the pad I use Manul toothbrush

At Home I use my Oral-B Triumph I guess I must get the 150 dollars out of the use of this toothbrush.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

acd

#8 Post by acd »

I have been using an electric since I got my braces and I'm very happy with it. My orthodontist recommends the use of an electric.

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

I use both..my "handpowered" and my Rotadent! Rotadent has those bristles that go right under the arch wire!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

TuZZi

#10 Post by TuZZi »

I've been using an electric toothbrush since day 2 in braces, and there is no way I am EVER going back to using only a manual brush. Using an electric is sooooooo much easier, and puts very little stress on your gums unlike a manual brush. I had receeding gums from using a manual brush, and it has considerably slowed down since using the electric.

Using an electric brush has also made my teeth a lot cleaner, as it's so much easier to get the hard to reach places with the rotating circle brushes, you don't have to worry about which way you hold your hand, or how much pressure you use, or anything like that. I also find I can brush my teeth for a lot longer using the electric, as it can also stimulate my gums at the same time. Almost every night now I brush for at least 12-15 minutes, while with a manual brush, I would get bored after 2 minutes.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but electric toothbrushes are a godsend to me. I wish I had invested in one earlier... my receeding gums will need surgery after the braces come off.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

vivi21

#11 Post by vivi21 »

i been using electric too since i got my braces & i love my Rotadent brush but i think some people due better w/manual it all depends what works for u :tingrin:

newmetal

#12 Post by newmetal »

Ill be honest, i find electric better than manual but this is because im lazy and elec toothbrushes mean less work for me. Although, if you are not lazy and take good care of your teeth then manual is probably just as good.

Let us know which one you opt for.

Newmetal

Kat

#13 Post by Kat »

I bought a Sonic care after reading about it on this forum. Used it for maybe 5 weeks and I noticed my teeth startinf to ping, really hurt.
I stopped using this brush and went back to a soft manual brush and I have to say my teeth are MUCH less sensitive now, they are stillsensitive but not near as much. I want to go back to the electric because I know it cleans but now it's no way worth the hurt.

bip

#14 Post by bip »

My ortho's office gives you an oral-b triumph when you get your braces. I've used it twice. It makes me feel like my head is going to vibrate off. Maybe it just takes getting used to but thus far I prefer manual. I have two different sized brushes in my medicine cabinet and my tooth kit and between the two of them, i end up feeling like i've done a good job cleaning so i haven't really tried to force myself to use the oral-b. My husband is jealous - maybe i'll give it to him! :wink:

cmm1280

#15 Post by cmm1280 »

I've only had my braces for a month. I used the manual brush the first few days while my teeth were pretty sensitive (anything hitting the arch wire at that time was pretty tough). After that, it's the electric most of the time. I still use both though. I have always been very happy with my electric and would recommend it to everyone. I have a cybersonic.

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.