comfort of brackets without wires?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

comfort of brackets without wires?

#1 Post by cowlypso »

I think I read somewhere here that somebody found the brackets without wires to be uncomfortable. My ortho is putting on my brackets and spacers at one visit, then a week later he is putting on the bands and wires.

Is there anything I can do to make things more comfortable during that week? I was wondering if part of the discomort is because the brackets don't have ligs, and if I should ask them to put ligs on the plain brackets to smooth out the edges. Or is it just the fact that the brackets stick so far out and there's no wires in between to make a more uniform bulge under the lips?

Any input or random musings on the topic?

lemonlyme

#2 Post by lemonlyme »

I only have brackets on top, and have for only 2 months. I don't have a wire because of my expander...But i'm getting one Monday! :D

I don't think its more uncomfortable than the bottom, It's nice cus i can actually floss easier for now :lol:

I'm sure you wont have any problems, but, as i recently found out...salt water rinses are god! ;)

Greenidgurl

Brackets with no wires - owie!

#3 Post by Greenidgurl »

I couldn't handle it if I had to go around without a wire in my brackets... when I first got my RPE in there were 2 brackets on the top that tore holes in my mouth. It was horrible, I didn't want to talk or eat. I finally got the ortho's tech to put ligs on the empty brackets! They'll do that - so ask!!!! I don't know how well it'll show up in this pic, but I'm posting it anyway... look real hard!

This pic was taken back in April... my teeth look way better now.
Last edited by Greenidgurl on Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wonderstuf

#4 Post by wonderstuf »

Is there anything I can do to make things more comfortable during that week?
Wax, and lots of it :)

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

Yes. Definitely some great progress there. Makes me anxious to get started.

I think maybe I'll ask for the ligs on the brackets, if they'll do it. I'm all for anything that will decrease pain, even slightly. Especially since I'll have spacers in at the same time! Plus, it will mean that I get color sooner. :D

PrincessMelody

#6 Post by PrincessMelody »

When I got my uppers put on it was the brackets and spacers, then 3 weeks later the wire and bands were put on. Currently I have just brackets and spacers on my bottom teeth, and Dec 8th I will be getting the wire and bands put on. I find it is MUCH more comfortable with the wire than the brackets by themselves. Putting the ligs on the brackets without the wire definately helps, but not much. Of course it is nice that the inside of your mouth is actually relieved when the wire is put on since it feels so much better. Also having the brackets on by themselves also helps to toughen up your mouth a lot faster.

as to relieve the pain... wax, wax, and more wax. It is your best friend :D
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

Tamms

#7 Post by Tamms »

I have 5 brackets (molar bands) without the wires or ligs. Defintely need wax and the salt water rinses have helped a lot. I've had them for 1 week and now I only have to wax a couple brackets. You do get used to them eventually I've found out! Never thought about having ligs put on them.
Good luck!
Tammy :)