Chap Stick?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OctoberMM

Chap Stick?

#1 Post by OctoberMM »

I'm on medicine that makes my lips chap pretty badly, and since getting braced, it's gotten a lot worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what chap stick to buy, or ways to prevent my lips from becoming this way?

Thanks!

-Peter

itsjustme

#2 Post by itsjustme »

I would love to get some tips for this since I too have really dry lips, and I don't even have braces yet!
One thing I have heard is to try and keep toothpaste off of your lips as it is extremely drying. Easier said than done. :P

OctoberMM

#3 Post by OctoberMM »

Never heard that one, but it makes sense!

Thanks for the input.

Eleni

#4 Post by Eleni »

I can't live without lip balm from My Lip Stuff
(link to their balms> http://www.mylipstuff.com/naturallipbalm.html)

You can choose from hundreds of scents/flavors. The balm leaves an ever so light glossy sheen. The flavors are really subtle so that you never get the urge to lick your lips. The texture is great, they last long and do their job - no chapped lips in 3 years.

From the list of flavors ( http://www.mylipstuff.com/flavordescriptions.html )
I really like Apple Cider, Cosmopolitan, Dr. Pepper, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and ... I'll stop there. :oops:

And for the guys, they even have "manly" flavors, like beer. :lol:
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

PrincessMelody

#5 Post by PrincessMelody »

CARMEX! I love the stuff, its really cheap, and comes in all kinds... the round stick kind, the squeeze tube, and a round container with a screw top lid (in two sizes). I love Carmex and it always makes my lips feel so much better since its mentholated! Works very well!
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

lisaemtp

#6 Post by lisaemtp »

I use plain old chapstick in the blue tube with SPF 15...I used to love Burt's Bees chapstick, but it has peppermint oil in it which feels nice and minty usually, but with my lips/cheeks all sore and scraped from getting my braces last week, lets just say the peppermint was a little painful! I'm sure I'll be back to that once my mouth heals up. Living in Florida though, the SPF is crucial!

Lisa

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

NinjaNoodles, all the above advice is good. My only addition is that be sure you aren't allergic to whatever you are using. If your lips don't get better in a few days or are worse, try something else.

I have found out the hard way that I am allergic to Carmex, Blistex, and the lip balm from Bath & Body Works. The more fragrances or 'flavors' they have the more chances I have of being allergic to them. The culprit allergy trigger ingredient in the Bath & Body works lip balm I think is Shea Butter.

I know not everyone is allergic to stuff like I am, but I just wanted to warn you. I had no idea I was allergic to Blistex and I kept using it and the worse my lips got the more I would slather the stuff on, for like 2 weeks. Finally I got out my good old Chapstick and they started getting better almost instantly.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

OctoberMM

#8 Post by OctoberMM »

Thanks, everyone!

And I don't think I'm allergic to anything, but I certainly don't want to find out.

vivi21

#9 Post by vivi21 »

i also love carmex for me the squeeze tube works great :banana:

bip

#10 Post by bip »

Carmex and straight old fashioned vasoline are all I use and swear by them. I used them even before I got braces because my skin is very dry. Chapstick has never worked for me.

allegro

#11 Post by allegro »

I can't use the medicated varieties (they dry me out too much) but ever since I got my braces, I have been looooooooving the Chapstick Moisturizing formula w/ aloe (in the yellow tube). I picked it up on a whim the day I got braced and it has been a lifesaver. Also if you have flakes, the Blistex renewal something-or-another in a pink squeeze-tube is great.

As a side note, (this is kinda TMI, just to forwarn you), if you do get some big flakes, taking a cuticle nipper to them really helps keep them from getting out of control and starting to bleed--almost as with a hangnail.

ellebee

#12 Post by ellebee »

Yesterday I bought a tube of C.O. Bigelow lip balm with shea butter and sweet almond oil at Bath & Body Works. I like it so far, more than everything else I've tried -- and in the two weeks I have been braced I have tried a bunch of products!

Still trying to adjust ...

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

wonderstuf

#13 Post by wonderstuf »

A few of my favorites, for what it's worth:

-- ChapStick All Natural, it smells nice and isn't as intense as the others on this list
-- Burt's Bees (normal variety) stays on much longer, but some people find it overwhelmingly pepperminty. They make a honey version which is less powerful.
-- Medicated Blistex (dark blue-green tube) for the times when the cracking gets so bad it bleeds

wonderstuf

#14 Post by wonderstuf »

Yup! Here's a description of the honey one. Also there is a Lifeguard's Choice variety which I've never tried, better for protection from the sun if that's an issue

TuZZi

#15 Post by TuZZi »

Hi, my name is TuZZi and I'm a lip balm connoisseur. :D I am hardly ever without at least 3 tubes within easy reach. If one day I have a brain fart, and forget one, I end up at the store within hours, no matter how many I tell myself I already have.

The one thing that puts me off of a balm, or gloss, or stick, is the nasty aftertaste some leave in your mouth when using them. Some of the nastiest after tastes have some of the yummiest starting tastes. So because of that, I would say I throw at least 30 tubes away after maybe 3 tries each.

The best I've found so far, have been Aveeno "somethin or other - super moisture, minty feeling" (I can't find it right now and it's stressing me out,) Chapstick Vanilla Mint, Blistex Mint, Labello Orange, Softlips Strawberry, and eventhough I hate the aftertaste of it, The Body Shop Vitamin E stick works well in the winter.

So you may ask why I mention all this? Well, because of my "problem" I just ordered $50 worth from mylipstuff.com. Thanks Eleni!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!