Should I choose ceramic+damon 3 or all damon 3s?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bren123

Should I choose ceramic+damon 3 or all damon 3s?

#1 Post by bren123 »

Hi, everyone! I'm 16 now and I'm getting an X-ray and mold tomorrow and I'll have to decide whether to install ceramic (upper front 6, not sure about bottom) + damon 3 or damon 3s on all of my teeth.

I really wanna have ceramic on the front, but my ortho told me that he doesn't recommend it, it will be less efficient and the result will probably will not as good as all Damon 3s, cause the front 6 will be high-force and the back ones will be low-force, so there will be two kinds of technology on the same braces.

But I really think it looks 10 times better with ceramic cause its less visible. I really don't know, so I will appreciate any help!

BTW, I think my ortho does Ice Inspire for the ceramics

Thanks! :o

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I've got Ice Inspire on the front 8 of my lower arch (metal on the rest). There was never any mention that they wouldn't work better or worse, or faster or slower than other brands. I'm quite happy with them.

bren123

#3 Post by bren123 »

Why lower and not upper, plus you're doing metal but I'm doing Damon 3, which utilise low forces.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

bren123 wrote:Why lower and not upper, plus you're doing metal but I'm doing Damon 3, which utilise low forces.
I've got linguals on top. When I said I had metal on the rest, I meant on my lowers. Sorry, that wasn't clear.

I could have had any number of combinations: full metal, ceramics on top/metal on the bottom, etc.

Damon 3's are no better or worse than any other bracket system, although some say they may shorten the treatment time a smidgin. It's the wire that does the work, not to mention the skill of the ortho.

Destor

#5 Post by Destor »

Personally I'd go with the Damons, for the improved comfort and extended time between adjustments
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. I liked my Damon 3's because they were easy to get the food particles out of my braces. They also were easier on dental floss. I had to switch to Smart clips on my bottoms and then had to switch from floss to tape because they sredded the floss. Never had experience with ceramics, so can't comment on that one.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Destor

#7 Post by Destor »

KK wrote: Destor many people find damon brackets harder to get used to, due to them not being as rounded or smooth as many bracket types. Also they have a slightly higher profile (out more from the tooth) than most other types/styles of bracket. Once this initial period of adjustment is over ... these brackets are just as good as any other I'm sure.
Well, I can't attest for other people, but in a year of treatment I've used wax maybe 2 or 3 times, and purely to deal with broken wires. Other than that, I've found the damon brackets do incredibly little damage to the inside of the mouth, and I haven't done the salt mouth rinse since the first few months of having them on.

As for the extended time between adjustments, I'm just going on what my orthodontist told me directly (that Damon brackets required fewer adjustments) and what I've read on every single Orthodontic website. Obviously each case is different, depending on how your teeth move, but he very clearly stated that damon brackets generally allow more time between appointments.

Destor

#8 Post by Destor »

That's very true, a big part of it is what your orthodontist is comfortable working with.

The price difference, from what I understood the price between them and normal brackets was pretty negligible?

Destor

#9 Post by Destor »

That's a great way to go about it if you ask me.

One thing about Damons, my ortho would pretty much refuse to put them on anyone under 18-20, because they're almost considered in the same category as ceramics, aesthetic braces that adults have to worry about moreso than teens. But that's just his personal belief, I think.