Switching from Ceramics to Metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Switching from Ceramics to Metal

#1 Post by iBorg »

I know a few of you on the list have switched from ceramic to metal. Today I had one ceramic swapped out for a metal bracket. The ceramic had been knocked loose or popped off for no reason four times in six weeks. The hygienist said the ceramics seem harder to remove but they were more likely to pop off.

For those of you who made the switch why did you do it? I’m not really a fan of one metal on a canine surrounded by ceramics.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ngbraces

#2 Post by ngbraces »

I did it! Changing ceramic to metal! I just got braces more than 1 month ago. During the consultation, my ortho recommended a full metal mouth but I was kind of apperance-concerned so I went with ceramic on top and metal on bottom. However, in the first 3 weeks, 4 ceramic brackets on the upper popped off with no reason, then my ortho was like "I told you so" besides wrongly blaming me on the bracket popping! So I swapped all ceramic to metal ones. I'm not saying ceramic gets more popped off than metal, but in my case it happened and I think my ortho has more skill with the metal than ceramic, there I went along with what she preferred. Since then, besides the look which is not really bad as I used to imagine, things have been going OK, I've kept my normal eating and no brackets popped off yet!

Good luck with your choice.

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

Karen:
I disagree with you. A smaller bracket is less likely to be hit by something to knock it off. Also, the smaller size would effect the amount of leverage that an item would transmit to knock it off. Finally it is possible with different glues that a specific glue may be less brittle with metal than ceramic or vice versa. As for brittleness being a factor consider if you will another ceramic, window glass. Very strong but minimal impact resistance. Metal on the other hand has a bit greater impact resistance.

Anyway, I now have one less ceramic bracket on top. I have five weks to decide if I want to go all metal or not. Just curious as to why people chose metal over ceramic.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

deltawire

#4 Post by deltawire »

I agree with Karen, although I had a bad experience getting a few of my ceramic brackets repositioned. The ceramic brackets broke into lots of pieces and the part where the glue had to be scrapped off was just hideous. I truly believe that it is the tools and skills of the ortho that makes the big difference. My ortho tried to get me to switch to all metal brackets but I was adamant about keeping the ceramic because there was no real good reason (to me) why I should switch. I just think my ortho is more comfortable with the metal which is why she was trying to persuade me to switch. However, I already paid to have ceramic and that's what I am keeping! Good luck!

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

Just curious as to why people chose metal over ceramic.
For me, it's mostly a cost thing. I was given the choice of all metal, or metal with 6 ceramics on the top front. I suppose I could have asked about all ceramic, but I didn't want to add on extra costs.

Also, looking at the models in the office, the ceramics look a lot bigger. I have enough trouble getting my lips to close over my teeth already, so I wanted to minimize the size.

Finally, I think I like the looks of the metal better. I'm worried that the ceramics would just look strange, but the metal is readily recognizable as braces. I've just decided to give up the worry about what others think and flaunt the darned things. Which means metal and fun colors! But this it totally a personal preference.

ellebee

#6 Post by ellebee »

Mike, how does the metal bracket on the canine feel compared to the ceramic?

I'm one who didn't realize the size difference and am having trouble adjusting to the bulk of the ceramics. The four canines bother me the most and have torn up the inside of my mouth. I think I could tolerate the rest of the ceramics if I could have the canines switched to metal.

At this point I don't care how that would look. It's all about comfort right now. Not to mention that the ceramics are far from invisible. I think they look pretty hideous. I'd just as soon have obvious braces as have something that looks weird on my teeth.

I do plan to try ligatures instead of clips to see if comfort improves and if they have an electric silver color, I may well choose that, to make my braces look more like braces. The ligs will expose more wire too.

Looking forward to my Dec. 4 adjustment!

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

I can't really tell a difference in comfort, as I have had no problem comfort except my molar area where I keep biting the side of my mouth. It looks to be 2/3 the size of the ceramic. I realize that I'm less self conscious of the look as the lisp. I sort of wonder if people could see the braces when I have a hard time popping my S's they would be more understanding.

Interesting the front office people at my orthos seem all for the all metal. For myself, I just want the most efficient system. I have to believe if I knock it off or if it pops off, it won't be very efficient.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

diande

#8 Post by diande »

Just a side note:

Mike I know you and I were braced around the same time. I have all ceramics and have never had a prob with losing my brackets, in fact I've knocked my teeth up several times and the things just dont budge it seems. However, I am one of those who are satisfied with the look and bonding experience I've had. Most people just think I have retainers if they see the archwire. Also, my brackets on the lower teeth are really small and they fit on my small lower teeth. Unless a person has had some type of porcelain added to repair a tooth or something like that I (inexperienced and not qualified in this field) don't see a reason why a ceramic bracket would keep coming off. I still wonder if it may have something to do with the glue. I also reviewed my ortho's accreditation recently and learned that she has had work published in some journals on some 'iomer bonding thing' (forgive me I can't recall) but I guess if she's actually worked on creating cements that bond really well, this may be a reason why my brackets seem to be so well affixed.

I wouldn't want metal brackets, but they do look nice I think, esp with blue ligs (:)) and people get used to them as with everything else. I think if you want to save yourself the hassle of having to worry if your ceramics are going to pop off, and if there's no extra cost you should go ahead and have them all changed to metal.
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

I'm consdiering it for a couple of reasons. I'm tired of knocking off this one bracket. If it stays on until my adjustment in January, I'll push to have the others swapped. This bracket is smaller and the way it fits the curve of the tooth may be stronger. Also, I'm a bit tired of trying to talk to people and they not understanding me and thinking I'm an idiot. With the metal maybe they'll go "oh baces." My speech issues aren't related to the brackets, altough I hope smaller brackets will help reduce my lisp, but my bite plate. This sucker is huge with about a 1/4 inch flat area to help open my bite. I also know I'll have one for at least the next year.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

iBorg

#10 Post by iBorg »

It is designed to open up my bite. My bite is off due to my lower molars being inset and angled in from my top molars. I beleive that 2/3s of my treatment will be gettig them in the right position. It is also to help prevent further damage from grinding.

When I had my consult, the ortho said she couldn't measure how closed the bite was due to the way my teeth had been forced into a reclining position. Her only comment was "its at least 5 mm." When the tops were uprighted I could chew food on my palate with my bottom teeth.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

valster

#11 Post by valster »

When I was in the chair getting my brackets on, the patient one chair over was exchanging her ceramic to metal.

She found them to be big, and she said her lips got caught on them often. She had the ceramics on for a year.

BlueeyedManda

#12 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I have ceramics top and bottom, although none of my brackets did pop off, I did have some repositioned. They popped off neatly and with no pain. The only uncomfortable part was the glue removal....I did not like that one bit. When I asked my ortho about the ceramics shattering he said they used to but they are made better now and he has this new tool they used for ceramic removal only and it has much better outcomes.
I can tell my brackets are bigger but have never had any cuts from them even when I first got them.
I wish you luck in the choice you make. Go with your instinct.