Wearing Headgear

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scott75

Wearing Headgear

#1 Post by scott75 »

HI all, well at age 31 i would have never thought i would be contemplateing whether or not to wear my headgear. I am getting cloer tofinally finising with braces, almost 5 years now!! So when my dr said I really need to wear the headgear most of the time, i was a bit freaked out. i am n all metal braces and now 4 different elastics that go arcoss my mouth up and down sideways etc.. so i am lisping etc.. i guess i should just wear the headgear out and and about and get every thing perfect. my ortho said in about 8-12 months in the headgear should do it. ive got my first few x mas parties approaching quick so hopefully i can get the courage to actually wear it.. some one here has said once people see u in it once its no big deal??! any suggestions

finally

#2 Post by finally »

Hi, Scott~
Can you take the headgear off for your Christmas parties or do you have to wear them 24/7? I know it must be hard contemplating wearing it at social functions but seriously, your friends would not think any different of you. As for meeting new people, if they meet you with the headgear on it'll just be a part of you. It is for 12 mths at the most and then just think of how great your smile is going to be.

I suffer from being self conscious almost all my life and my dentist had to remove a tooth and I am barely getting used to the fact that my smile is less-than-perfect. Luckily, we are more than our teeth, appliances we wear :) and our flaws.

It's temporary and the months are going to go by anyways. Better to let them go by while wearing the headgear so that when those months have come and gone you'll have a dazzling smile to show for it.

Good luck and wishing you a happy Thanksgiving and blessed Holiday!
:)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato

HeadgearJoe

#3 Post by HeadgearJoe »

hi scott, yes at first going outside was a biggie for me , an i guess it is for all , but then you go out not wearing it an people that seen you in it before some ask are you finished with your headgear , like most of use metalmouth headgear wearing one's have said, after a few trips it's realy not a big deal, however i did tell a storie back a while back about scarring an ATM machine , an it eating my atm card , good luck i what ever you do , (+=+=+HEADGEARJOE+=+=+)all a board
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Zondrae

#4 Post by Zondrae »

wow you have a great attitude - nearly 5 years is such a long time to be braced! Good luck with the new equipment - I'm sure you will do just fine. Think of it this way, we don't even bat an eyelid at someone with a cast for a broken bone or a brace for a leg. So why should this be different?