question re. biting into things

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jacqui

question re. biting into things

#1 Post by Jacqui »

I just have a quick question...
...I have had my braces for just over a month and am finding it very uncomfortable to bite into things using my front teeth. Should i continue to avoid biting with my front teeth or just cut everything up really small???

Not too sure what to do there?? :? :? :?

Otherwise everything is going very well. I have already noticed mega movement in my teeth...its amazing. I went out to celebrate end of exams on the weekend and for the first time going out i smiled my metal mouth smile in all photos. Its a good feeling to be comfortable with the way i look now. I will try post up a pic or two soon when i figure it out.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I bite into things, but i try to make sure they are not tough things. Hamburgers and such i'll bite into, but pizza or anything like that i wont. That takes too much effort. Easier to just tear it off.
I guess its at your discretion really, what you think you can take. If it is uncomfortable then i probably wouldn't bite into things, i'd tear off small pieces
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

wonderstuf

#3 Post by wonderstuf »

Maybe fork/knife everything that's not a banana (seriously!)? It's not that much extra work, and that way you won't accidentally bite into something harder and painful.

deltawire

#4 Post by deltawire »

Hi Jacqui!

I was told by my ortho not to bite into anything with my two front teeth. She told me to cut everything into pieces. Most of the times I cut my food into pieces, however occasionally I may try to bite into food with my front teeth and a day later they are really sore. So it is probably best to cut up anything that tougher than a banana as wonderstuf stated.

Good luck!

joney

#5 Post by joney »

For me everything is cut up and eaten with a knife and fork or torn into small pieces with my fingers. It's more of an inconvenience than anything really but I've learnt to live with it. I remember when my eldest daughter got her brace off the first thing she wanted to buy was a crusty bread roll so she could bite into it and enjoy it. I think I'll be the same.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

ghostmyimag3

#6 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

well i've never bitten into pizza anyway, so maybe thats why i dont do it now lol
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Attagirl2

#7 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Jacqui. I had quite a bit of intrusion that had to take place with my front uppers. Because of that, I did not bite into much before my 5th month. After that I slowly added firmer foods. Just cut things up small for now and you will be back to normal eating before you know it.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Jacqui, it took me around 6 weeks to feel comfortable with biting into anything. I took it slowly from there on in, but tried to get back into biting into stuff like pizzas, bread rolls, soft fruit, etc. Your ability to bite should return in time.

hippyhippo

#9 Post by hippyhippo »

My ortho told me absolutely no biting with my front teeth. The one time I broke that rule I ended up with a broken bracket (I ate a small tuna wrap which was very soft). I haven't used my front teeth since.

neelie

#10 Post by neelie »

Also told by my ortho not to bite into anything with my front teeth. I cut up everything and chew with my molars. As some have said less risk of food being stuck to a front bracket. I still have a long way to go but I can't wait to bite into a chicken nugget or a piece of pizza.

Jacqui

#11 Post by Jacqui »

WOW GUYS!!!!!
Thanks so much. That was really helpul.

I appreciate your comments.

Jacqui

tractorgirl

#12 Post by tractorgirl »

I used to find it a problem biting too. Because my teeth were moving and my brace was tight to start with, it was horrible biting into anything.
I used to either try and bite from the side or the back, and chew at the back.
Now its not a problem.
Hope it eases off soon! :)

Higgy

#13 Post by Higgy »

For the first couple of weeks, biting into stuff with my front teeth was uncomfortable....then it lightened up.....then as the gap closed in the front, they were tender again...but now they're fine again. Now, I'm told to refrain from biting with the front teeth since we're doing some intenese moving of the bottom fronts....which won't let me bite hard stuff anyway.