Help! Wedding! NHS & private treatment simultaneously?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gnashers87

Help! Wedding! NHS & private treatment simultaneously?

#1 Post by gnashers87 »

Hi all, quick question.

I am having orthodontic treatment at the moment to correct a malocclusion and this involves braces and surgery. Now I am due to have surgery in June 07 and the braces off in December 07. However my best mate has just informed me that he and his girlfriend will be getting married in August 07 and he has asked me to be his best man.

Obviously the wedding is set for 2 months after my surgery and the braces will still be on, however I don't particularly want to be doing the speech, wedding photos etc with braces on so I want to have them taken off maybe a couple of days before the wedding and then put back on a couple of days later. I don't think this would be possible on the NHS as it would be a purely cosmetic consideration on my part.

So my question is if I paid a private orthodontist to do the removal and putting back on a) would he/she be prepared to do this considering I will be seeing an NHS ortho at the same time, or would it be considered a bad idea by them and they refuse to do it? And b) I know taking the braces off for a few days could potentially add months to my treatment and am prepared for this, but would there me any medical reason they might refuse to take them off?

gnashers87

#2 Post by gnashers87 »

Thanks guys, I will ask next time I see him.

gnashers87

#3 Post by gnashers87 »

Lastly, really, in your shoes I'd not go to all this bother anyway. Having the braces on for the wedding is really not a big deal, especially since you are not the groom (or bride!! :lol:) Being braced should in no way impact your ability to perform your duties as Best Man.

Yeah but I will still be expected to be in loads of photos with big cheesy grins, having spent the last 5 years trying to avoid cameras I would just feel more comfortable doing it sans braces. I'm not exactly Mr Confidence at the best of times. :oops:

gnashers87

#4 Post by gnashers87 »

The other thing is, think how hugely better your teeth and jawline will already be by then! :thumbsup:
Absolutely, I can't wait!

I'm even going to be asking the anaesthetist if they can make it less than 5 seconds to knock me out. That way my recovery time is 5 seconds less :D

missy bigsmiles

#5 Post by missy bigsmiles »

Gnashers,

Just read your situation...I'm also in the UK. My ortho mainly works for the NHS but does private work also...as does my surgeon...not had my surgery yet...I'm currently paying for my ortho work, and the surgery is undecided as yet, depending on my husband's medical insurance, may be NHS.

However, point being, if it were the case that after discussion your ortho agrees to remove your braces in principle, he could do it himself and then maintain the professional and technical continuity, possibly on a private basis.

Also, as said above, there's also Adobe photoshop/ suite

Missy

KatK

#6 Post by KatK »

I am matron of honor next year in my best girlfriend's wedding...she is just going to have to deal with braces in the pictures! :)

dcw

#7 Post by dcw »

Why are you concerned - If anyone has a problem with you having braces F$%^ them

Delag

#8 Post by Delag »

My .02.... if your friend cared that you will have braces in all the wedding photos he wouldn't have asked you to be best man. If he doesn't care, than it shouldn't worry you either.

ghostmyimag3

#9 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Its not really worth it to have them removed and then put back on. Not in my opinion. Like it was said before pictures can be corrected and touched up, you having them removed just seems like not only a bad idea, but it could prolong ur treatment time.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

LizzyG

#10 Post by LizzyG »

I know it is down to you as an individual, and how you feel, but I got married this year (in July), and I kept my braces on even though I was the bride! Didn't even bother having the photo's airbrushed, so there are plenty of big cheesy metalmouth grins LOL (I have damons, not ceramics).

Good luck in whatever you decide. Incidentally, I agree with the other suggestions - ask your NHS ortho if they would remove/reapply the brackets on a private basis.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006