Bite Plate Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Bite Plate Question

#1 Post by iBorg »

I have had a bite plate for about two months. I keep on thinking my lisp is going to go away, but I still have a bit of one with the bite plate in. It goes away when I remove it. It seems to be secure in the roof of my mouth.

I'm also wondering about switching from ceramics to metal. Two easy questions for those of you with a bite plate, has your lisp gone away? Do you have metal or ceramics? I'm wondering if the smaller size of the metals would help reduce the lisp.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

windsbud

#2 Post by windsbud »

I have a bite plate on the bottom and metal brackets on my top teeth. I have had them on for about 6 weeks and yes, I still have a lisp. It does go away when I remove it. I dont know if it will ever go away completely. I cant wait until i no longer need it!

dcw

#3 Post by dcw »

The lisp goes away, when you stop wearing it LOL

I could not wear mine at all during the day, just could not get to a point where I could be understood -

Ortho applied epoxy to the bottom mollars to keep me from bisting off my brackets

Still have the original bite guard, thinking of listing on ebay . . . . . .

akabraces

#4 Post by akabraces »

I have had a bite plate for a few months now and don't lisp....sometimes if I talk way too fast and am tired, I have a tiny lisp thingy going on, but usually I'm fine (at least, I think I am...)...
Just talk a whole lot and it will get better hopefully!

*aka

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

Do you have metal or ceramic braces? After six weeks I really expected my lisp to lessen versus getting worse. If its not getting worse, it sure isn't getting better.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.