Extraction gaps...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Extraction gaps...

#1 Post by newmetal »

These for me, are the big negative of braces. Braces would be a lot easier without these gaps, they are on show when you yawn and make you conscious about opening your mouth wide in public. At what phase do these start to get worked on and closed. Also, i know the general principle is 6 months onto treatment with extractions, is there a possibility that they could close earlier than the predicted months. Is this common or not?

Many Thanks

Newmetal

mindwaves

#2 Post by mindwaves »

Yeah, I pretty had much had my extraction gaps being closed at the 6month mark. I really don't think they can do it much easier. There is a link around here somewhere where it shows the progression of steps of what orthodontists do to your teeth, but it varies from person to person. Personally, my teeth was made to be straighter, then the jaws were expanded (braces), and now the gaps will be closed. Then I think alignment is next?

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

I don't have any extraction gaps, but I do have some spaces caused from the movement of my teeth. When I went to the ortho last week to get my bottom braces he noticed there are some spaces that are getting fairly large. He put a power chain across my 4 front teeth so they wouldn't get any gaps between them and told me that it will be a while before he can address the gaps on the sides. He said there is other work that needs to be done that takes priority over the gaps on the side.

Basically, the ortho has a plan and will close the gaps when the time is appropriate. +\+

jess214

#4 Post by jess214 »

I had four teeth removed in total (2nd bicuspids on the top, 1st bicuspids on the bottom) and I'm wondering the very same thing. Thankfully, hardly anyone noticed that I had to have teeth taken out though. What's annoying about them is that there aren't brackets for the archwire to be attached to on those spots, so the wire keeps pressing against my inner cheek, giving me a million painful wire imprints. :(

valster

#5 Post by valster »

I just got mine yanked yesterday. Just call me gappy!

Oh well. I'll cover my mouth when I yawn! :)

My husband said it is not too noticeable but I think he's just being diplomatic. Oh well! Six months is not that long when I waited more than 20 years to get braced.

finally

#6 Post by finally »

Hi, newmetal! I had an extraction that is very noticeable. I've gotten used to it now. At first, I didn't want to be seen in public. LOL!

KK shared this link with me and you might find it helpful.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lora/braces.html

She had an extraction too (where I had mine) and her's close fairly fast!

Where's your extraction?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato