How soon after extractions can I have a soda?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

valster

How soon after extractions can I have a soda?

#1 Post by valster »

My list says no carbonated drinks. It's been 24 hours and I am JONESING for a Diet Pepsi.

:twisted:

tin_grin

soda!

#2 Post by tin_grin »

I don't remember how long you have to wait... I hope you can hold out b/c you really DON'T want a dry socket! I was careful but got one anyway and it was such a drag. Gross. Give your doctor a call tomorrow if you can.

I DO know that you can't use a straw for a while (for the same reason).

It seems like forever, but the place where your tooth was will eventually close and you'll say, "I thought that would NEVER close!" ;-)

Good luck to you & hang in there!

Braced: July 19, 2006
Estimated tx time: 18 - 24 mos

ChangingBraces

#3 Post by ChangingBraces »

You'll get past it...just hang in there. I havent had any extractions but I'm not supposed to have anything carbonated either & it was sooo hard at first to give up coca cola, cuz I really loved it. I like carbonation, caffeine, the whole bit. My coffee intake has increased since then, but I did get over the cola cravings. I've been very good about avoiding carbonation....all I've had is champage at Thanksgiving. So you can do it too :wink:

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

I know I'll probably be pummeled for saying this but its best you get use to NOT drinking carbonated drinks regularly while in braces. Not good. Find a good substitute. Ok, everyone, I've got my shield up...throw your stones.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

I don't have my braces yet, but I overheard my ortho giving some instructions to a parent last time I was in the waiting room. He said that soda was not a good thing, but that he understands that people aren't going to give it up. He recommends, if you're going to do it, to use a straw. That way, it bypasses a lot of your teeth and doesn't do as much damage. I rarely drink it. I mostly use caffiene as a drug, and only use it when I need to stay awake. Unfortunately, I don't like coffee, so soda it is. So I did just stock up for the last 2 weeks of the semester. Bought a 12-pack of diet soda and a package of straws.

Anyway, I think the drinking soda after extractions issue is more because the carbonation might dislodge a clot and lead to a dry socket. So I would definitely wait as long as the oral surgeon says!!!

Oops, almost forgot. Just for you, Chris...

valster

#6 Post by valster »

I know... I've had about two sodas since Thursday, which is decent.

Still in pain, but I don't know if its the extractions or the braces which hurt. Wires went past my extractions. This feels like brace pain. I am taking motrin but am still in total agony!