Lost weight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

finally

#16 Post by finally »

I had a block put on too but I broke through it. Maybe they did it wrong. Eating with the back molars isn't that fun and I worry about getting food stuck in my braces so I eat easy soft foods. I'm hoping I could resume eating like normal cuz I love food!!!
:)

finally

#17 Post by finally »

I will try the water pik. I've been working 12 hour days and so I have to do my brushing and rinsing at work. My one job is okay, the hospital bathroom is gross and small. I have been brushing after every meal and cup of coffee to minimize stains (to OCD?).

Karen, I don't know why I'm still having a hard time with the lower incisor being gone. I am completely obsessing over it. Ugh. I started this new job and I felt so embarrassed. :oops:

neelie

#18 Post by neelie »

I've lost 11 pounds since extractions, spacers and braces. This journey began on Sept 28. I've needed to loose 15 pounds for years so I'm pretty happy. I don't think I'll gain it back because as others have said I just don't snack any more. I've cut out almost all sweets because I don't want to risk cavities. After I've flossed, brushed and used the salt water rinses after dinner I don't eat at night. And food just doesn't taste the same since I've been braced. But...it's OK...at the end of this journey I'll have a nice smile which is something I have wanted for years and years.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Neelie

srg1977

#19 Post by srg1977 »

I've lost at least 20 lbs (and maybe a bit more - it's been awhile since i've stepped on a scale). It's pretty clear now that I was just constantly snacking without even thinking about it. Whereas with the braces you become very aware of everything that goes in your mouth. And also because it hurts so much to chew, at least some days, that you don't want to waste the effort on food that won't fill you up. So i've noticed that i'm just picking healthier food in general - homemade soups, mashed potatoes instead of french fries, nothing deep fried or crispy, etc. Hopefully when the braces come off I won't revert back to old habits....although a plate of fries would taste really good right now!

finally

#20 Post by finally »

That is sooooo true. Snacking is not the same! I don't miss the sweets but I'm worried about not getting all my vitamins. Maybe I'll take a multi...Anyways, people have commented on how skinny I look. Braces is kind of like having your jaws wired. LOL.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato

finally

#21 Post by finally »

Update.

Eating is again enjoyable and I'm a stuffed turkey right now. I weigh 140 again. Up from 135 the four days after I got braced.

LOL! Oh well. I guess I'm going to have to exercise (darn, there just doesn't seem to be a way out of that one!).

:wink:

finally

#22 Post by finally »

I'm going to remain positive from here on out. There is a Bible verse on worry and I'm going to cling to it.

This website is fabulous.

hippyhippo

#23 Post by hippyhippo »

Heh, I've gained 2 pounds since getting braces, even though I really wanted to lose 5.

I think a big part of it is that one of the very few things I can no longer eat are subs (too hard to break up, especially when they are overly stuffed like how I like them). I'd used to eat a 6" veggie sub from subway for dinner at least once a week, because it was tastey, filling. cheap, and fast to get when I'm in a rush. It was also very low calorie. So instead I'm eating meals that are maybe 200 calories more than I normally would have eaten on those days. Unfortunately, that slowly adds up.

I also haven't experienced the urge to stop snacking that some people have here, so that may also explain the lack of weight loss. But typically I only eat when I'm hungry, so I don't see why I'd go hungry just because I have braces on.

Jillianleab

#24 Post by Jillianleab »

My weight has stayed the same since getting braced, but recently two people have asked if I lost weight. Both were people I hadn't seen since getting braced, and the first thing they said is I looked thinner! I'm already thin, so this isn't really a good thing!!! I asked my husband about it and he said he can see a change in the shape of my face and he thinks they are commenting that I look different, but can't put their finger on what the difference is, so they think I've lost weight. Interesting...
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Lisa65

#25 Post by Lisa65 »

I lost a few pounds when I first got my bottom braces because of stopping snacking. But since getting the springs put on my molars 5 weeks ago I've lost about 10lbs, because my top and side teeth do not touch at all anymore. So I have to do any chewing on my sore and moving molars and it just seems like too much trouble. Also bits of anything I eat get under my Nance and it drives me mad!
If I'm hungry I just tend to drink water or eat a banana or tangerine, as they don't need too much chewing, and just have one proper meal a day, and after that have an OTT rinse and clean.
I was probably about 25lbs over my ideal weight anyway for my height so losing 10lbs is actually quite a positive step in some ways. I know i should make an effort to eat properly because I'm a bit lacking in energy, and a soft diet would give me the nutrients I need without the effort of chewing, but i detest mushy food. :?

HeadgearJoe

#26 Post by HeadgearJoe »

i lost allmost 30 pounds , most of wich was from tmj probs it just hurt to bad to eat , i was about 225 to 230 but i'm 6'1 , i went to 190 pretty quick i'm glade to say i'm back at 203 maybe 205 , an been there about a year now , but i just don't snack at all like in did years past , i to put up with lower an upper bitesplints 24/7 , thank god there gone now , hgjoe :lol: :pinkbraces:
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

ghostmyimag3

#27 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I've lost some weight, a whole jean size ha ha. I have only lost about 5 lbs, nothing major, i still am hanging at 130 lbs.I just cut my snacking out. I still eat my main meals like i always have. I just don't want to brush 10 times a day so i cut my snacking out unless i'm just really really hungry and can't wait.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Jacqui

#28 Post by Jacqui »

yeah i have definately lost weight!!!
I lost 5kg in 3 weeks.....i went from an australian size 8 to a 6 and the 6 is also big for me! Its unreal i wish i would just put the weight back on...i look mega skinny now and i hate it...YES I KNOW I WANT TO PUT ON WEIGHT IT SOUNDS UNREAL!!

I am just trying to keep eating the way i used to, i have a protein shake every morning now days...first i eat breakfast and then i have a protein shake before work. I am so scared to go to the gym too coz i think i will just loose more weight. It's a scary situation to be in but i guess with christmas around the corner i will be eating quite a bit though so hopefully i gain a little!! :P

tin_grin

#29 Post by tin_grin »

Without trying, I've lost between 6-8 lbs in the first four months. It was apparently very noticeable, because I got a lot of comments that I was "too skinny". I didn't mind at first because I had wanted to lose a few so my clothes would fit better, but the comments are getting annoying.

It's partly due to not being able to chew the entire first month and quitting things like nuts and chips that aren't good for braces, and cutting back on sweets and soda.

Braced: July 19, 2006
Estimated tx time: 18 - 24 months

bunnyfluff

#30 Post by bunnyfluff »

I've lost quite a bit of weight since I got my braces on over 2 1/2 years ago. I think some of it is due to the braces forcing me to snack less and eat a wee bit slower, but it might also be that I was in that stage where I was losing baby fat (I got my braces on right before I turned 17, i'm 19 now). I've been able to keep it off due to the whole eating slower deal and my mom and I have also become more health-conscious and overall eat more "good for you" foods than we used to.

All in all, I weighed about 130something pre-braces, and now I kind of fall between 110 and 117.