Will I need to take the day off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jc75

Will I need to take the day off?

#1 Post by jc75 »

Hi

I was due to get my braces on Saturday but the orthodontist has postponed my appointment to Friday 8 December. I am so disappointed as I had started to psyche myself up already and this is the second time brace day has been delayed now following complications with extractions. Hey ho, there is nothing I can do about it.

Anyhow, I was wondering what you think about going into work straight afterwards? I am, as far as I am aware, due to have the whole lot done in one day - ceramic uppers, metal lowers and a palatal arch with a nance button. Will this be too much of a shock to the system to go straight into work? One of my biggest concerns would be actually being able to talk to people - I would like a bit of time to practice first!

Would you adivse to take the day off on Friday and have the weekend to get used to things?

Thanks

Julia

Amburly

#2 Post by Amburly »

I just had my braces put on a couple of hours ago and I am glad I took the day off. Although my mouth is not hurting me now I'm sure it will later on. My advice is to take the day off if you can. I am very happy that I did.

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Hi jc75

I had my braces fitted 3 weeks ago on a Friday morning and took the day off. I wanted to get used to them before I tackled work again on Monday. As you are having more equipment (so to speak) I think it might be wise to take the day off if possible. Sorry to hear you had complications with extractions (I did too). Hopefully it will be easier sailing for you from 8 December.

Regards
Joney :D
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I went straight back to work when I got my braces on. It was no problem at all. I was a little distracted. Then again I didn't need to talk to anyone that day so it depends on what you do for a living.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi jc75,

Sorry your appointment to get your braces was delayed. You may want to ask your ortho's office to call you should they have an earlier opening.

Regarding taking the day off on the day you get your braces, if you go to work after your braces are placed then you will have the opportunity for people to see your braces and answer the usual questions. This can be good because that way you won't have to be nervous through the weekend of how your co-workers will react to your braces. I was a bit self conscious about getting braces because I am an adult and just getting over people's reactions was stressful for me because I had not told anyone that I was getting braces. But, taking the day off is a good idea too because having braces placed on your teeth is a big step for most adults and a bit of a stressful appointment (for me), although the staff at my orthodontist's office are the greatest, it was still stressful. If you take the day off, you can relax prior to the appt. and after the appt. you can treat yourself to lunch or dinner or go shopping. With taking the day off, you will not feel rush prior/after the appt. and if the appt. takes a bit longer then you anticipated then you won't even have to worry about it.

I did take the day off for both appts. (lower braces were placed 2 months after the upper braces). In fact, I even took the day off when I got my expander placed. I have taken the day off when I know my appt. may be more than a quick adjustment and just make the day a fun and relaxed day - this makes my orthodontic treatment a fun process. When I did go to work the next day after I got my braces, only one person noticed/mentioned them. To date, only about 6 people at work have mentioned them, not sure if people are not seeing them because they are ceramic or if people are not mentioning them because I have not mentioned them. I can't believe that it has been almost 10 months already since I began orthodontic treatment. My orthodontis estimated 16-20 months including the time in my expander so I'm halfway done.

Do what you feel would work for you. Keep us posted on your treatment.

ssfw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ellebee

#6 Post by ellebee »

I got mine on Nov. 8, a Wednesday, in the afternoon. I took Thursday and Friday off. I was VERY glad to have those days and the weekend to adjust (somewhat, I'm still adjusting). It wasn't about pain, which was totally manageable, it was about having what felt like a bus in mouth. Three weeks later I am coping but not completely comfortable and it feels like it's already been a loooong time. I have my first adjustment next week and I'm looking forward to making some progress. I can't detect any movement yet, I'm going to ask the ortho what areas he is moving first.

Take the rest of the day off at least. You will have to re-learn how to eat too.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I had uppers (linguals) placed first and was in the chair for 1.5 hours. You could say it was a big session. I was always going to go back to work after my appointment and glad I did. It helped take my mind off the braces.

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

I didn't find the braces a problem but I too have a Nance and that can take a short while to get used to. It feels like having a sweet in the top of your mouth all the time and can interfere with pronouncing certain sounds until you get used to it.

I had all mine put on after work and I'm glad I didn't have to go back to work afterwards because although it wasn't painful in any way, I found it quite stressful and was glad to go home and chill out.

ghostmyimag3

#9 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I went to work the same day, i ended up taking the next day off though. Your second day will be the worst.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

jc75

#10 Post by jc75 »

Thank you all so much for your replies - what a nice bunch of people you are!

I think I am going to take the day off work and try to make a nice day of it. My appointment is at 8am so I can go home afterwards and relax a bit and maybe do some christmas shopping later on.

My boyfriend and I were also planning on going away to the Cotswolds for that weekend too, which I am glad about. Hopefully we will be so busy that I won't have time to think too much about the pain!

Well it has been quite a long journey so far - I went for my first consultation 4 months ago and got my first set of spacers in 20 September! There has been so much coming and going to dentists and orthodontists since then - getting extractions, having to have a root surgically extracted as it broke off, going to get my palatal arch in which then didn't fit, more spacers etc etc. I have used up so much energy psyching myself up for appointments that then don't go as planned. I am really looking forward to getting the braces on so I can start seeing some progress finally!

Thaks again.

Aquagirl910

#11 Post by Aquagirl910 »

Hey guys I am new here, but from my experience, the first day doesn't so much hurt but it feels weird inside your mouth. I think the second day hurts the most. But, I would say to take Friday off and have the weekend to get used to them as well.

Kat

#12 Post by Kat »

If you can't take the day off don't sweat it. I was in the same sit.
I went had them put on and went to work with zero problem.
I wondered why I had zero pain.
I did take some Advil and tylenol but didn't need it either so if it isn't bad.
The next couple days was fine as well. I see people had problems with pain but as my ortho told me to take the over the counter pain meds before your first install then maintain taking them for a couple days. I'm telling you it works. No sweat.

PrincessMelody

#13 Post by PrincessMelody »

I went straight to work. My appt was at 9 am and I was at work at about 11. I talk on the phone ALL day at work too and did not find them that hard to deal with at all. In fact being forced to do something afterwards helped keep my mind off of them so I think it was good. It put them off of my mind so I couldn't get too annoyed. Had I taken the day off I think I would have been unbelievably annoyed and then they would definately be interfering with my life. I went into this with the idea that braces would not interfere with my life and so far it has worked for me.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

bckydgardnr

#14 Post by bckydgardnr »

I think it really depends on the person. I agree with PrincessMelody about not letting them interfere with your life; however, sometimes you need to do something for yourself. Most adults that are getting braces are doing something for themselves whether it is to correct a bad bite or for cosmetic reasons. When you are having major work done, give yourself a break and take the day off to enjoy what is being done to your mouth. (just another way to look at it instead of focusing on the pain :D ) Your job will be there the next day, or the Monday after the weekend.

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05