Please Take the December Braces Poll

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Please Take the December Braces Poll

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

Please take a moment to go to the main ArchWired site and take the December Braces Poll. (at www.ArchWired.com)

This month's question is:

How many consultations with other orthodontists did you have before choosing your current doc?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ChangingBraces

#2 Post by ChangingBraces »

I only had one consult with my current ortho...I really wish I would've talked to at least one other ortho now...

Granola

#3 Post by Granola »

I'm in the minority--I consulted with four orthos before making my decision.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I only saw the one.

Delag

#5 Post by Delag »

Wow! I can hardly believe how many people don't get more opinions. Perhaps my DH is right - I do over investigate things. I can't buy an iron without checking Consumer Reports :oops:

redsfn77

#6 Post by redsfn77 »

I was able to see a lot of my ortho's work prior to agreeing. He was highly recommended by everyone I talked to. That and the "portfolio" were good enough for me!!
[/url]

[/url]

ellebee

#7 Post by ellebee »

Well I am almost a month into treatment (almost 2 months from my initial consultation and x-rays) and I am just now realizing I should have done more homework. I'm planning to consult a couple more Orthos even though my brackets are on and my treatment has begun. And I may switch depending on what I find out.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

ghostmyimag3

#8 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Well orthodontists are scarce here where i live. And the 3 or 4 we have 2 of them here in town are children ortho's. The other two are high priced and love to pull teeth even when its not neccessary.
The one i actually go to is in the next town over.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Tasha0313

#9 Post by Tasha0313 »

I only had one consult....I'm a slacker lol. I was just very anxious to get the braces on because for some reason three years ago I thought they "looked cool." Never once thought about the pain, but it is worth it!!

SherwoodForest

#10 Post by SherwoodForest »

I had a consult last Thursday, and then another the next day. I decided to go with the second ortho. The first ortho just looked at my teeth and told me that I would need braces for 2 years, and she didn't know how my teeth would respond (whether I would end up with a slight overbite or underbite). The second ortho took x-rays, pictures and gave me a more detailed treatment plan. I decided to go with the second ortho then and there, so they did more x-rays and took an oh-so-yummy rootbeer-float mold of my teeth! And I get braces on my top teeth tomorrow...I'm so excited. :D

onny

#11 Post by onny »

Just had 2. The first was very disappointing and the second was perfect. So I chose the 2nd.
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

jdub

#12 Post by jdub »

I'm probably in the minority in that I'm using my regular dentist (and that was my only consult). It helped that the admin is in braces and the assistant just got hers off a few months ago (both done by my dentist). And the assistant worked at an ortho's office before and still had this dentist do it. So seeing some of her work upfront helped. The dentist (and everyone else in the office) have been very friendly, willing to explain what's going and I've had good results with other dental work she's done (this is different, I know).

Now, if the brackets will finally get shipped to their office (instead of being backordered), I will get this thing started!

JDub

karebear46168

#13 Post by karebear46168 »

I only had one consult, but my orhto was recommended by my TMJ dentist & she was recommended by my general dentist. I'm probably in the minority in that I have 4 dentists now!!! I have a general dentist, a periodontist, my TMJ dentist & now the ortho. however I don't see my TMJ dentist on a regular basis any longer, she is there if I have more problems, but I have graduated from her sessions (I'm a good girl & wear my mouth piece like I'm supposed to). any one else have several dentists?

Iceolated

#14 Post by Iceolated »

Only two orthos in my area. One who is a permanent member of my community and another who travels between two locations. After speaking with several people who had experienced both I went with the former.

I felt that being dedicated to one location would make that ortho more accessible if I had an unscheduled problem. It is interesting to note that the ortho I chose is more expensive than the other but I felt a greater confidence in my choice based on the feedback of others.

So far my decision has paid great dividends. My ortho and staff are extremely friendly, very patient and have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable with all that braces entail. The office also has XM radio and seems to be playing 80s music whenever I go for an appointment. Big bonus for a child of the 80s like myself!!!

Cheers,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

TuZZi

#15 Post by TuZZi »

I never had a choice. There's only one ortho in my city, and he's only here for 4 days every month.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!