Confused on which to choose

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braced4braces

Confused on which to choose

#1 Post by Braced4braces »

Hi! This is an awesome forum and I'm happy someone set up one like this for adults who wear braces or are considering doing so.

I have a problem like this and I hope to get some opinions...
I'm 23 and I feel like putting on braces to correct my 2 upper front teeth which are jutting out and overlaps slightly the two right lateral. I consulted 2 othos: Otho A recommended Damon2 and no extractions. She said she will extract if neccesary. I prefer no extractions of course! But the price she quoted is about $1000 more then otho B. Otho B recommends conventional braces. He said he tried Damon sys b4 and did not think it's any better. He said I would definitely need extractions of 4 first bicuspids to make space.

I'm confused over which one to choose and whether Damon braces are really worth the money! :(

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

How much will the extractions cost ? YOU can factor that in but are still taking a risk if the damon ortho decides later that extractions are required.

Talk to the damon ortho too and tell him that the other braces are cheaper and see if he will meet you half way.

I personally would take a chance on not having extractions. Ask the damon dr. what the chances are too.... Is it 50-50 ? More than 50-50?

Good LUck!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Braced4braces

#3 Post by Braced4braces »

Thanx for the advice, jcdamon3! I'll ask the otho chances of extraction. Since I'm 23 and my jaw space are more or less decided, I guess extractions might be very possible. i just hope it could be reduced to 2 upper extractions instead of 4 upper and lower...

I don't know exactly how much the extractions cost. I need to call up the clinic to ask tomorrow but I do know the Damon otho has a more prestigous kind of clinic so she charges more. But the price she quotes included retainers so its a plus point for that. I'm afraid of pain and heard ppl testify Damons hurt less! If that was true, it'll be great. I guess there isn't much diff except damon3s are more aesthtic? Anybody had damon 2 or 3 and can let me know whether they are really less painful, easier to clean, etc?

Braced4braces

#4 Post by Braced4braces »

SORRY, I double posted by clicking on the button twice... :oops:

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

For me a bracket is a bracket as far as eficiency, if they are both low friction. some people like the self litigating while others enjoy choosing different colors of ligatures based upon their mood and season. I have ceramics but might change to metal for the smaller size.

What I would be most concerned about is the extraction issue. I like my teeth in my mouth. Unless I had major space problems I go the no extraction route.

With what you're thinking, I'd pursue at least one if not two more opinions.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Braced4Braces and welcome. I had Damon3's (uppers and lowers for 2 years, replaced lowers with Smart Clips during second year). The replacement was because I make "a lot of tartar" and clogged up the doors. This is unusual, so don't let that bother you.

I cannot say that Damon's are less painful, as I never had conventional brackets. But, as most people will tell you, there are a "few" times of pain, but most of the time discomfort would mostly be the term used. During those times, ibuprophin took care of the pain.

I liked my Damon's because:
1. They were relatively small compared to many brackets.
2. They were half metal and half clear
3. They did stand off the tooth just a little more than convential, but that made for eaier cleaning between the teeth and wires.
4. This space also made it easier for flossing.
5. Smart Clips were no comparison to the Damon's. Smart Clips shredded my floss and I had to switch to tape - which still shredded some. When that happens, you have to pull it out of the brackets with tweezers. Smart Clips also hurt when they changed the wires.

If I had to get braces again, I would select the Damon's again.

I had some crowding of my upper front teeth and a very narrow arch. The damon's that I had allowed widening of the arch (which provided room for my teeth) without the use of an expander. My orginal quote was going with an expander and regular braces. By the time I got to get the braces, my orthodontist quit using regular brackets...

The wire actually does the expansion of the arch, but the passive type brackets (self legating brackets) allow less tension on the wire which allow the teeth to move along the wire.

I agree with the others, get another opinion or two, ask the Damon orthodontist more questions. See what comes with each of the plans (office manager can answer that). That way you are comparing apples to apples.

Sounds like you are doing your home work. All you can do from there is make the best choice you can.

Best wishes to you.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Braced4braces

Thanx!

#7 Post by Braced4braces »

Hi, I called up the clinic and was disappointed to know they only open from Tuesday to Thursday and Saturdays...
Thnx for all the useful advice! U guys are great :D The thread is really useful. I had a good bite, class I malocclusion, so according to the Doc's suggestions in the thread, I guess my chance is a 4 teeth extractions to maintain the bite. Plus, I had a nice arch so there's no need to expand to allow space. I also have large front teeth.

I am still a little hesitant... until I clear my doubts with the otho clinic tomorrow!

Btw, I lived in Singapore and I noticed from the quotes in this forum that the otho treatment we pay was way cheaper than in the US. I was quoted S$3710 for Damon2, upper and lower. U can roughly divide the amt by 2 for the US value!

cowlypso

#8 Post by cowlypso »

And then, of course, there are those of us who have a Class 1 relationship on one side (indicating both a top and a bottom extraction) and a Class 2 relationship on the other side (indicating only a single extraction). I guess some of us just have to be difficult. :lol:

Definitely take your time with the decision, though. You want to make sure that you have all the info beforehand so you don't have any doubts or regrets later.

Braced4braces

Going tomorrow...

#9 Post by Braced4braces »

Hi! I read through all ur advice... in fact I've been reading through the various threads many times!

I called the clinic but did not get to talk to the Damon otho. Her assistant talked to me. She did ask the otho regarding my case before calling me to explain. She told me mine was a case which might not need extractions but she gave me a 50-50% chance. I like the otho's conservative approach abt extractions- only when necessary. But if it is necessay, 4 will have to go. Also, she said if I do not like extractions, I could get my teeth straightened out, but have a slightly mild class I maloclussion. I'll have to decide when I put it on and see how things goes... Thnx for all the advice! I'm going for the xray and study model tomorrow!