clenching teeth in your sleep?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

clenching teeth in your sleep?

#1 Post by Lisa65 »

I've never knowingly had any problems with clenching or grinding of teeth and despite my weird bite I never noticed any problems other than the visual irregularity of my teeth.

But the last few nights since my last adjustment and getting an elastic to wear on my right molars, I've woken up several times in the night with my teeth clenched tight together and it's the pain of it that's woken me up. When I wake up I of course relax my jaw to ease the pressure and that hurts too, as the pressure comes OFF my teeth.

Has anyone else had tooth grinding or clenching as a result of getting braces or elastics? Would a mouthguard help in the short term? I don't want to be woken up several times each night in pain because my teeth are clamped together so hard.

jess214

#2 Post by jess214 »

I'm the opposite - I'm still learning to get my mouth to close naturally so for the meanwhile, I sleep with my mouth open. Everything gets all dry in the morning. : P

sportsgrl97

#3 Post by sportsgrl97 »

although i was a grinder before braces... definantly during elastics it got worse... id wake up thinking that i cracked my tooth when i feel myself bite together real hard and land on only one tooth. i also find myself clenching a lot during the day. i usually bite my lip when i do it and i have been doing it my whole life so i dont really notice it until i specifically check to see if im doing it. it usually happens when im mad or stressed so the common situation. hope this helped

michelle

ellebee

#4 Post by ellebee »

Not only do I clench, last night I managed to severely bite the inside of my cheek in my sleep.

I have to do the blowfish thing to be able to bite together without my cheeks getting in the way.

I was formerly a grinder and I wore a night guard which I loved. I can't wait to get a new one when my braces come off.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

anotherbraceface

#5 Post by anotherbraceface »

Totally off-topic, but everytime I see your icon I want to tell that mouse to stop brushing so vigorously - he'll erode his gums!!

hah.

No, seriously though, I cringe in horror everytime I see it. :)

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

LOL would you like me to change it?

finally

#7 Post by finally »

[align=center]Since I got my braces I clench my teeth all the time. I imagine it can't be good and I often wonder if it'll make the braces less effective. I think a mouth guard would take care of the problem at night.[/align]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato

Tin Indian

#8 Post by Tin Indian »

I have been a clencher ie: teeth grinder for years, and have been wearing the enamel down on my frt bottom teeth. That was the first step in getting braces was trying to rid myself of enamel loss and the enormous headaches that went along with it. A month before getting braces I bought a splint from Splintek.com. It has ajustable bite pads that rotate on each side as well as a strap that goes below your bottom brackets that hold it securly in place.It is a Godsend to me as it is very comfortable to wear either with or without braces and very seldom do I get headaches anymore and I can talk with it in .Splintek.com has a very easy to navigate website and I think that was the best $100 bucks I spent on my teeth before braces.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

juf_84

#9 Post by juf_84 »

Hi Lisa,

I have that problem too- it's definitely more pronounced after an adjustment or when I am really uncomfortable. For example, I spent 7 hours overnight on a train last week- I slept for all of 40 minutes and woke in agony as my teeth were clenching so badly! It was awful!

I hope your clenching gets better soon!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

NotBob1

#10 Post by NotBob1 »

My Ortho supplied me with a nightguard for people in braces. It has a lip, but is flat to allow the movement. I trimmed it a bit to allow for the elastics and it worked great. I am on #2 as I chewed through #1. If anyone is interested, I will follow up and find out what brand it is so you can ask your ortho about it.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

Thanks for your input everyone, the last couple of nights I haven't been woken up by painful clenched teeth so I guess the initial discomfort fro the adjustment and the elastic has worn off now.

I'll ask my ortho about a nightguard though next time I see him.

iBorg

#12 Post by iBorg »

I want the mouse BACK!!!!

Seriously, I'm a grinder and have cracked my teeth on more than one occasion. My ortho fixed me up with a bite plate a bit sooner than she wanted because I was really grinding with just my top wired.

I'd talk to my ortho about the problem as soon as you can. As I understand it the metal brackets will deform before they damage teeth. Ceramics will damage teeth before they deform.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cbushnaq

#13 Post by cbushnaq »

Hi NotBob1,
I would like to know what type of mouthguard you got from your Ortho. I started clenching my teeth after I got braces.

Thanks,
C.

P.S. I spelled your name wrong. Sorry :(
Last edited by cbushnaq on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbushnaq

#14 Post by cbushnaq »

Hi NotBob1,
I would like to know what type of mouthguard you got from your Ortho. I started clenching my teeth after I got braces.

Thanks,
C.

JumpTheDitch

#15 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I think it's more a case of being more aware of what's going on in my mouth now that I've started to focus on my bite and teeth, rather than having got better or worse since getting braces.

I never really noticed being a clencher or a grinder but grinding in combination with my bite has worn the tops off my lower front teeth and damaged the backs of my uppers (reason for braces in the first place). You think if you ground that much you might notice but apparently not!

I never paid any attention to my jaw clicking and popping either. I was aware of it happening, but didn't question whether it should be happening or not.. Apparently its not :oops:.

Before braces I used to wake up to find my tongue all "crinkle-cut" round the edges from my teeth. Really quite disgusting. It's not so much the grinding that I hate but the clenching of all my tongue/mouth/cheeks. Now that my bite's improved I don't get the crinkley-edged-tongue so much but often have to peel the insides of my lips and cheeks off the braces when I first wake up.

Am wondering whether I should be looking at something for the grinding I guess but not really sure what to be asking for, or whether I should be asking the Ortho or the dentist! :oops: