SO FRUSTRATED!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jc75

SO FRUSTRATED!!!

#1 Post by jc75 »

Hi All

I've just had my brace day delayed yet again and I am getting so frustrated that I just want to cry!

My orthodontist was recommended to me by my dentist and, having also seen 2 other orthodontists, I thought I had made the right choice. However, so far I have experienced nothing but problems!

My initial consultation was sometime back in the beginning of September. I was given spacers on 20 September and still I have no braces, nearly 3 months later!

My initial brace date was 4 November. I was due to have a palatal arch fitted earlier that week but apparently the mold went wrong and the arch didn't fit. I was told it was to be re-made and I would have it fitted with the rest of my braces.

Then I went to have my extractions but one of the roots broke so I had to have it surgically extracted at a later date. That obviously delayed brace day but it was re-scheduled for Saturday 2 December.

I got a call the Thursday beforehand to say that my orthodontist has to go and pick up her uncle from the aiport and can no longer see me on that day. So I rescheduled for this Friday, 8 December. However, I just got a call about an hour ago to say that the orthodontist has shut her finger in a door and cannot work. So my appointment is cancelled and they could not give me a date to reschedule. It may not be unitl after Christmas!

The worst thing is, I have already paid £1,240 to the ortho and all I have had so far is spacers!

I am so sorry to rant - this must be so boring - but I hope that some people can understand my frustrations! Getting braces is such a big thing for me (I am 31) and having so many knock backs like this is making me so unhappy! I feel like the entire process is doomed!

Some words of encouragement would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for listening.

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

That really really s*ucks!

I hope everything gets better for you. It doesn't sound like much of it was in your Ortho's control though.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

karebear46168

#3 Post by karebear46168 »

How frustrating! I'm sure it is all working in your favor, I always tell myslef that things happen for a reason. hang in there & keep us informed!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I can understand your frustration entirely - you've had a really rough trot. Hopefully this is the end of the bad, and the beginning of the good!

Delag

#5 Post by Delag »

.....my orthodontist has to go and pick up her uncle from the aiport and can no longer see me on that day....¨

Is it just me or is this really unprofessional? Ok, the other things I can understand, but the clients come first - the uncle could have gotten a cab. I am sorry for your frustration and hope you can get braced really soon. stuff like this really irks me. Maybe it is living in a third world country where I have to deal with so much of this kind of thing on a daily basis.

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

Maybe it's not too late to change? It may just be that you've been plowed over by a bunch of really unfortunate events. But if could also be a pattern developing.

Why so much money already? All I have paid so far is about $200 for my x-rays, molds, and consultation. Did you put a down payment down when you got the spacers?

I would think that if part of that money is down payment, you should be able to get it back if you decide to switch. And you may even be able to take the x-rays and casts with you.

I'm not saying that you should switch, just that it might still be an option.

I definitely think that you should schedule a time to come in and talk to the ortho about your concerns. Even if she can't actually do any work on patients, she should still be in the office directing assistants in adjustments, and should be able to meet with you.

Good luck!

bunnyfluff

#7 Post by bunnyfluff »

I'd be pretty angry too! That just seems really shady and, like you said, unprofessional.

Hopefully things will work out well for you!

LadyTr0uble

#8 Post by LadyTr0uble »

JC, you poor baby! I would be pretty angry myself.
You might really think about your choice of ortho. Putting braces on you is only a small part of the whole treatment. If this is an indication of what will happen after you are braced, you might want to look into finding another ortho. 3 months is a very long time to wait (esp. with spacers in your mouth). By being so unprofessional, it may also delay your progress.
Reevaluate everything... is it just a series of extenuating circumstances that created the delay?

GOOD LUCK!!

jc75

#9 Post by jc75 »

Thanks for your replies. I guess it is just a run of bad luck - I hope things will start getting better soon.

The reason I have paid so much already is that I paid a £1,000 down payment and I started paying off the rest in monthly instalments in November. It is £120 a month for 20 months. As far as I am aware that is how it is done in the UK. I don't seem to be getting much value for moeny so far though!

I called my ortho earlier to see if they have any indication how much longer I will be waiting. It could be another month - the ortho may not be fit to return to work before Christmas and then she doesn't return from her christmas break until 8 Jan! Thing is, I go skiing 21st January and I want to be well used to my braces by then. I am tempted to try and get an appointment before Christmas if she is back at work. I just want to get going even if it means I can't enjoy my Christmas dinner.

I just cannot believe how long this is all taking! When I first started with consultations I thought I would be braced by October. I can't beleive we are now looking at 2007! SO FRUSTRATING!!!! :x

cowlypso

#10 Post by cowlypso »

That's interesting how they do the payments. In the US, they also have down payments and then monthly payments. But you go in for your x-rays and impressions, which are charged separately (some people change their minds after that step). Then, you make your down payment on the day that they actually start doing things, and monthly payments go on thereafter. So for me, I got my records done 3 weeks ago, had a consult yesterday, but I'm not going to put any money down until they actually put equipment in my mouth.

If you did decide that you wanted to change, you should definitely be able to get some of that money back. Really, you should get everything back, less the costs for records and the spacers, which shouldn't be too much of the whole.

Aquagirl910

#11 Post by Aquagirl910 »

I am sorry it is taking so long! I would stay at this ortho though as you have already paid the money. Also, the reasons why the orthodontist has had to reschedule the appointments sounds to me like he/she did not have any control over this. Anyway, good luck and I hope you get them on soon!

jennielee81

#12 Post by jennielee81 »

Gee, I'm sorry about all your bad luck with your ortho!

I couldn't help but think you would have been happy to pick up her uncle at the airport and bring him to your appointment for your ortho...everyone would have been happy!

Reality: The important thing is you ARE GOING to get braced... in a year's time, these few weeks won't be much at all. :-1

Best wishes to you! Let us know when the big day comes!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm