clenching teeth in your sleep?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

#16 Post by Lisa65 »

I want the mouse BACK!
LOL if you want him Mike he can be found here :lol: perhaps we should pass him round! :-9

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i192/ ... age004.gif

deltawire

#17 Post by deltawire »

Hey all!

I too am a night clincher! I started clinching my teeth at night about 1 year ago before I got my braces. I know it was due to the stress I had in my life. It would be sporadic, however when i got my braces it was more consistent. Particularly 2 weeks after an adjustment. In fact I woke up this morning with a clinched jaw. My ortho said that she could make something for me to help with the clinching. She did not want me to buy something that might hinder my overall process. I will have a another discussion with her next week to see what alternatives I have. I will definitely keep you posted.

~Dwire

DizzyKitty

#18 Post by DizzyKitty »

I only clench my teeth at night when they hurt, like for the first couple of days after an adjustment then it goes away.

It woke me up too then I'd try to relax them but once my teeth were feeling less "achy", it goes away.
- Dizzy

DizzyKitty

#19 Post by DizzyKitty »

I only clench my teeth at night when they hurt, like for the first couple of days after an adjustment then it goes away.

It woke me up too then I'd try to relax them but once my teeth were feeling less "achy", it goes away.
- Dizzy

DizzyKitty

#20 Post by DizzyKitty »

- Dizzy

blondie111

#21 Post by blondie111 »

Yep, I clench my teeth too, and now especially since I have elastics too. For the past 5 mights in a row now, I have woken up and the elastic on my left side is broken. I think it's from biting down or grinding on it. So not sure if it's something I need to correct, or just wait until my next appt to have my ortho address. I just make sure to put a new elastic as soon as I get up :D

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

ishasha

#22 Post by ishasha »

I am not quite sure if I grind my teeth before I got braces. Even if I did, it was not bad. But since I got braces, my ortho put some stuff on my upper molars to prevent the teeth from biting each other, I started to grind, and hard. :( It's been one month. I grinded so hard that the stuff has been worn down and I had to go in again today to have them add more of the stuff to my upper molars to open up the teeth again. :shock:
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

bip

#23 Post by bip »

I always did more jaw clenching than grinding but something my ortho told me i found really interesting. He said of course alot of grinding and things like that is made worse by stress, habit etc but sometimes it is the body's way of trying to fix problems such as misaligned bite or jaw, etc. That made sense to me, since our bodies do try and create some sort of equilibrium in many ways.

ghostmyimag3

#24 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I have been a clencher for 7 years.
Mouth guards dont work, i spit them out in my sleep.
I go through periods where i wont do it, then i will just start doing it again.
Lately i have been doing it since my teeth have been moving. I actually broke a filling 3 months ago clenching.
I cant really relieve the stress in my life, i work on computers and i find myself clenching if im thinking really hard or while im driving. Especially if its raining. I dont know what the connection is there lol

This actually started in 2000 after i got my wisdom teeth removed. I also have problems with the dentist numbing my teeth. I have had various dentist tell me they think i have nerve damage due to the surgery and one dentist sticking me with a needle too many times trying to numb my mouth. Its crazy. I also have problems with my jaw popping all the time, while im talking, eating etc.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006